Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Auto Save Feature not functioning

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain this to me? I am quite frustrated by this, so please forgive me if I come across as rude.

I have Photoshop, it is up to date. I have it set to save Auto Recovery info every 5 minutes. The file has been saved with a name and location to my HD. I have the space and ram and specs for my computer to handle this.

Now, my computer did end up crashing. Ok, that happens. Nothing is perfect, things wear out in time, etc etc. Annoying, sure.

So it is quite frustrating that after I go through the effort to set up the auto save feature that when I re-open photoshop, I lost nearly an hour of my work because said feature did not do its job. Before anyone chimes in with "Well it is specifically designed if PS crashes, not your computer", the auto save feature has been around since atleast some point in CS6. The autosave feature worked just fine then, even with complete hardware crash, because it was creating a saved version that would reopen.

Furthermore, if the feature is supposed to save a recovery file ever 'x' minutes, what does a computer crash itself have to do with the feature not working? Is it not saving a recovery file? Is it just creating some rediculous temporary file on the ram that gets wiped in the event of a crash? Why in the H would they change a feature that worked JUST FINE in earlier interations to an inferior, and pointless version? Photoshop itself does not actually crash all that often. It is a pretty solid peice of Software. In my experiences, hardware failure is more likely to occur.

Sorry, getting off track.

Point is, what am I doing wrong here? I got the settings on. I got the comp specs for PS. I've named the file, etc etc. Can someone please explain to me why it isnt saving a recovery file? If it does boil down to "Well it is ony incase PS crashes", can someone then explain to me why Adobe would downgrade a pretty great feature that worked well in previous iterations of the product?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It often works as intended, it's not perfect.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please try doing a test. 

Create a file, save it, make any change and wait (the interval-length) to see if the corresponding file appears. 

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 13.01.13.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines