• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto save ruined my work. How do I get back to a good image?

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to have a play with a previously good image to try a few new things. Unfortunately there appears to be some sort of 'auto save' option turned on and it ruined my file. So, a couple of questions;

1. How do I turn off the auto save function?
  2. Is there any way I can get back to a previous (good) version of the file?

(I've learnt the hard way but I guess this shows you should always, always do a Save As if you are going to play with an image.)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

@leep40312335 wrote:

Unfortunately there appears to be some sort of 'auto save' option turned on and it ruined my file.

Hi Leep,

You didn't say, but any chance you are working with a Cloud document (.psdc)? That's the only place I know that has auto-save when you properly close a file, and no, it cannot be turned off for .psdc files.

If it is a .psdc file, you might be able to retrieve a previous version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/manage-cloud-documents-photoshop.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even imagine what you mean! I can't see how Auto Save could alter the image Can you post a screenshot?

-Edit- Ok I now see that mybe you meant it Auto-Saved a version you weren't happy with? 

Anyway I guess you can disable it by going Edit>Preferences>File Handling and unchecking all the "Save" options,  but I do not recommend this. You can lose work if you don't have this backup.

AF-AUTO-SAVE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leslie Moak Murray wrote:

Anyway you can disable it by going Edit>Preferences>File Handling and checking "Never Save" but I do not recommend this.

Hi Leslie,

I think the "Never Save" is a dropdown for "Image Previews" and only applies to the small previews that display the file. Saving the Preview makes the file a bit larger, which is of concern for web graphics, whereas not saving it makes it hard to identify your file.

DBDA1809-E354-4AD1-A846-E31119C9CAA8.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! Thank you! I'll edit my response. I guess he can still uncheck all the "Save" options tho?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 4th option "Automatically save recovery information" is only in the event of a crash.

73817832-4133-44EC-850C-3469D9CAF125.jpeg

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/file-recovery-photoshop.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than once I've been glad I specified saving!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm like you, Leslie, I save, save, save, and also save as! 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leep40312335 wrote:

I wanted to have a play with a previously good image to try a few new things. Unfortunately there appears to be some sort of 'auto save' option turned on and it ruined my file. So, a couple of questions;

1. Is there any way I can get back to a previous (good) version of the file?

If you have not yet closed the file, you should be able to back up using the History Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leep40312335 wrote:

Unfortunately there appears to be some sort of 'auto save' option turned on and it ruined my file.

Hi Leep,

You didn't say, but any chance you are working with a Cloud document (.psdc)? That's the only place I know that has auto-save when you properly close a file, and no, it cannot be turned off for .psdc files.

If it is a .psdc file, you might be able to retrieve a previous version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/manage-cloud-documents-photoshop.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone, your replies are much appreciated.

Ultimately it was my own fault and now I know the behaviour, I will be using Save As a lot more often!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines