• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically adjusting exposure across a set of pictures, with linearly decreasing exposure

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following problem: I am planning to create a time-lapse from a set of photos. However, the photos are taken during sunrise, and the brightness increases as the sun is rising, as my exposure was fixed during shooting. I would like to correct the exposure for the pictures, but basically I need to have them all consistently exposed.

Lets say the first picture starts with exposure '1', the last picture has exposure '0' and all pictures in between are adjusted linearly between 0 and 1 in order for a smooth reduction in brightness

I tried with the ‘auto’ correction in Lightroom, but there is too much variation across the pictures in the exposure after applying this setting. 

So now, I would like to know if there is a way to create a 'script' or something to automate this

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

If you need the exposure transition across frames to be made at the raw level for maximum image quality, Lightroom Classic doesn’t have any built-in tools for that, but there is other software that can help.

Jeffrey’s “Timelapse Support” Lightroom Plugin (donationware)

Timelapse+ STUDIO (commercial)

LRTimelapse (commercial)

I have only used the last one. It provides a very high level of control over the animation of many Develop module settings, but might be more than you need.

If the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need the exposure transition across frames to be made at the raw level for maximum image quality, Lightroom Classic doesn’t have any built-in tools for that, but there is other software that can help.

Jeffrey’s “Timelapse Support” Lightroom Plugin (donationware)

Timelapse+ STUDIO (commercial)

LRTimelapse (commercial)

I have only used the last one. It provides a very high level of control over the animation of many Develop module settings, but might be more than you need.

If the degree of adjustment needed isn’t too large, a basic way is to export the frames at a single middle exposure value, then use a video editing application such as Adobe Premiere Pro to convert the still frames to a single video and animate the exposure. But the quality won’t be as good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Conrad, great advice! - I will explore those options. And yes, as a quick fix, I can animate the exposure in the video editing software, but I just am not so happy with that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines