Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background and colour

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon all, 

Hope you all doing well, and can please assist me.

Please help, I need to remove the background of both these.

1. Picture 1 I managed to remove background, but only if I change it to black and white and then with inverse selection. I saved the jpg to pdf first

- How can I then get the original colours back, but keep my transparent background? As I cant seem to delete the background with colours still intact. or is there another easier way.

- Is it better to keep as jpg, or rather change to pdf when doing the transparent background?

1. Picture 2 is hand drawing, which I have not even started with yet. But need to also remove white background. or all white, and then enhance the colours on it.

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend you save all images with Layers/Transparency as psd, psb or tif. 

jpg has no transparency. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I was searching through the archives. There was a killwhite plugin people could use before, but it is not available anymore? do you perhaps have an alternative way for me to delete all white background please.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try using Remove Background from Properties panel. Mz advice is to try using Advanced Blending options, press Alt and click+drag left part inward as shown on screenshot below. You may need and some tutorial to understand how things work.

remove white bgr ps.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ond can emulate »unpremultiplying« with a fairly convoluted Blending combination. 

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 09.06.03.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 at 09.06.07.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 at 09.06.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,appreciate your time. I am trying to replicate what you have done, and can only follow to the Blend if.  I will try some more. I can see I will need to learn more about these features. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The set-up is a bit complex and hinges on the Blend Mode Color Burn, a Blend If based on all three channels and Knockout Layers. 

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 12.05.04.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 at 12.05.08.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 at 12.05.15.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 at 12.05.26.pngScreenshot 2022-04-26 at 12.05.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Bojan!

That is awesome! I tried it and it worked!

Now my last question, if you dont mind. If I want to darken some of the sketch lines, what would you suggest please. I suppose it would be better to darken or enhance the colours first before deleting the white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bojan,

I did what you showed me, and it clears the white space, making the back transparent, but when I export, it still shows a background. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you export as JPEG? If so, Do not, we have said. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as PNG with transparency turned on or save as TIFF and ensure that you do not have any underlying layer in document with white color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan, I did the tranparency with your method on blenf if , and saved it has .PNG. but still shows a background.

Please see attached. I am sorry to bother so with this. But I really need to get this right. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which command you use to save? Can you post screenshot with Layers panel visible before atempting to save and screenshot of Save or Export dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bojan, please see my steps below. I have attached the sketch again as a result. Do you think it is just the picture?, that maybe makes it so difficult, I tried this method with my 2nd picture I uploaded  first day, and it worked perfectly. And if it is the picture, should I turn it black and white and remove the white then? but how can I get the same colour back again afterwards, I suppose with layers, but not sure about the steps.  Thank you

1.Background layer.PNG

 

1.New layer from background.PNG

 

2. New layer from background,.PNG

 

3. Blend if.PNG

 

4. Export PNG.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After exporting PNG reopen it in Photoshop and post screenshot. I can not guaranty that exported image is not with transparent background because some other app or viewer may show its background below. 

Just quick note: checkerboard which represents transparency in Photoshop will not travel with image, that is just Photoshop way (one of possible solutions) of saying to us that background or areas on image are transparent. If you place that image in some other app or upload to site that checkerboard will go away and image will be surrounded by application or page background color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will you be using the images?

What will they be placed on top of?

Did you produce the images, or do you know the person who did produce them?  I'm asking this question as I would be tempted to reproduce the first image, at least, from scratch.  Is that something you could do?  How close would it need to be to the original?  It would be an interesting project and excellent practice with Photoshop.

The second image depends on how you need to use it.  It could be as simple as using a blend mode and perhaps a curves layer to increase contrast and saturate the colours.  It all makes a difference to how you would go about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Trevor, thank you. I want to print on a shirt. They are not my sketches. Can you please tell me how to best delete the white from the drawing with the blend mode as you suggested above. or if I make it black and white, then delete white, and bring the colour back somehow, can that be done? Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines