• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background vs. regular layers

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open an image into Photoshop from Camera Raw, it always opens as a background layer. I therefore have to convert every image I open into a regular layer, as I have no use for background layers. Is there a way to make opening images as a regular layer the default behavior so I don't have to constantly do this conversion? I see a way to do it when creating new files, but can find no way to do it when opening images from Camera Raw. I'm using Photoshop 21.2.7.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option is to open as a smart object from ACR (prefs/workflow or open menu button/object), otherwise, this can be automated using a default script from Adobe via the Script Events Manager:

2023-04-06_10-26-39.png

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2021/10/photoshop-script-events-manager.html

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/background-layer-to-file-name-script/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use smart objects, so whatever I'd have to do to change them to regular layers would be as much trouble as just converting the background layer. I tried the "open as layer" script but unfortunately it does not work when opening files from ACR, so I guess I'll just have to convert my background layers one by one. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't give up yet! :]

I'll look into this a bit deeper...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The following two scripts work fine for me from a raw camera file with the open event for a single or multiple images:

// (c) Copyright 2008.  Adobe Systems, Incorporated.  All rights reserved.

/*
@@@BUILDINFO@@@ OpenAsLayer.jsx 1.0.0.0
*/

var begDesc = "$$$/JavaScripts/OpenAsLayer/Description=Assign this to the open document event. This will promote a document with only a background layer to a layer with the document name." // endDesc

// on localized builds we pull the $$$/Strings from a .dat file, see documentation for more details
$.localize = true;

if ( app.documents.length > 0 ) {
	var doc = activeDocument;
	if ( doc.layers.length == 1 && doc.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer ) {
		doc.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer = false;
		doc.activeLayer.name = doc.name;
	}
}

// (c) Copyright 2008.  Adobe Systems, Incorporated.  All rights reserved.

/*
@@@BUILDINFO@@@ OpenAsLayer.jsx 1.1.0.0
*/

var begDesc = "$$$/JavaScripts/OpenAsLayer/Description=Assign this to the open document event. This will promote a document with only a background layer to a layer with the document name." // endDesc

// on localized builds we pull the $$$/Strings from a .dat file, see documentation for more details
$.localize = true;

var stripExtension = true;

if ( app.documents.length > 0 ) {
	var doc = activeDocument;
	if ( doc.layers.length == 1 && doc.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer ) {
		doc.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer = false;
		var docNameNoExtension = doc.name;
		if (stripExtension) {
			var extensionIndex = docNameNoExtension.lastIndexOf (".");
			if (extensionIndex != -1) {
				docNameNoExtension = docNameNoExtension.substr(0, extensionIndex);
			}
		}
		doc.activeLayer.name = docNameNoExtension;
	}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines