• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Action not working like the regular action does.

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm relatively new to posting here so if you require any more information than I provide please let me know!

So I currently have an action command set up in Photoshop (Windows 10, Photoshop version 22.5.1). The action is designed to take an image, make it smaller, turn the canvas into a square and save it out again into a different folder. The action does this with individual files; I have tested them and they have worked.

The issue comes in when I try to automate the process using a batch action. What happens, instead of running the action as it should, the program will open up every single file sequentially, leave them open, do nothing to them, and then spit out an error message that says "There were no source files that could be opened by photoshop". I've seen a few people in the forums who have encountered this error before, but none of their answers worked for me. I've included screen shots of my action command, my batch settings, and the error message. Hopefully we can find a solution that works!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

The problem is that in your case, it's not opening the file, but importing the PDF pages.

When opening files from a folder, batch expects them to have a number of attributes specific to a document opened from disk (in particular, the path on disk), but this does not happen when importing pages (each imported page is essentially a new document) - it seems that it throws an error.

To solve this problem, record to the action File -> Open As... Photoshop PDF command, and in the batch window spec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that in your case, it's not opening the file, but importing the PDF pages.

When opening files from a folder, batch expects them to have a number of attributes specific to a document opened from disk (in particular, the path on disk), but this does not happen when importing pages (each imported page is essentially a new document) - it seems that it throws an error.

To solve this problem, record to the action File -> Open As... Photoshop PDF command, and in the batch window specify Override Action "Open" Commands. In this case, batch will remember the path of the file from which the page was imported and no error will occur.

2022-03-29_22-12-12.png

2022-03-29_22-12-25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This makes a lot of sense, thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I helped succesfully in threads alike yours I'm surprised the answers don't work. Could you link them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines