Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch naming repeats added specific text for each save as

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My action opens up a PDF, do whatever it needs to be done, then "Save as" .JPEG .PNG and .TIFF

When I run batch on a folder that contains multple PDFs (in subfolders), I want batch naming to add _RGB at the end of the file name as per screen shot:

But I keep ending up with multiple "_RGB" added to the names for each "Save as"!

I want one _RGB added to all file names only once. and no files named like this: XX_RGB_RGB_.tiff

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 19.10.04.png

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 19.13.49.png

(I tried "Save as copy" that did not fix the problem, and Actions could not record "Export")

Please help

Another Batch question while at it: Can you set Batch to save the files in the same "Sub folders" that they open the PDFs from?

Thanks for any help

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still struggling with this! please help

each "save as" adds a another of whatver in the added file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Abed.K 

Can we see the entire batch dialog including the destination? If, for instance,

• you have a psd and save it as a tiff, it will be filename_rgb.tiff
  • if you do a save as on the tiff and save is as a png, you will get filename_rgb_rgb.png
  • if you then do a save as on the png the last file will be filename_rgb_rgb_rgb.jpeg.

You need to make sure you are always starting with the original file and we can't see that from here or with what you've told us so far.

It's Saturday and most of us are volunteers. An hour is not a long time to wait for a response.

B5C1C94A-0C65-40A3-8070-66623615CEF3.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jane-e 

Thank you for your reply.

this is my "BATCH" dialogue:

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 20.49.33.png

and if it helps, this is the save as steps in my actions:

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 20.45.51.png

Totally understand about Saturday and me being in a bit of a rush, but this is work related and I am working on a Saturday, getting bit desperate here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Abed.K 

Did JJ's reply answer your question?

If not, can you tell us:

• what kind of files are you starting with?
  • what are the steps in the action called "a" (a screen shot showing the steps would help)
  • does it work if you run the action called "a" on one single image?
  • can you step through the action and spot where the error is?

ADJUST PLAYBACK SPEED

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/playing-actions.html

Specify playback speed

You can adjust an action’s playback speed or pause it to help you debug an action.

• Choose Playback Options from the Actions panel menu.
  • Specify a speed, and click OK:

Accelerated

When you play an action at accelerated speed, the screen may not update as the action executes—files may be opened, modified, saved, and closed without ever appearing on‑screen, enabling the action to execute more quickly. If you want to see the files on‑screen as the action executes, specify the Step By Step speed instead.

Step By Step

Completes each command and redraws the image before going on to the next command in the action.

Pause For __ Seconds

Specifies the amount of time the application should pause between carrying out each command in the action.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jane-e 

I am starting with a PDF, sourced from InDesign.

Action steps are as follows:

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 20.11.36.png

The blank action before the last one is the Image Processor Pro saving step. and it is as follows:

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 19.51.42.png

There is no errors in my actions, they give the desired result as they should.

Currenly my issue is to save the JPEG and PNG in the same file as each PDF, with the correct naming of an added _RGB.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It look like the Bacth Processor  Save as override add the _RGB and the file is saved and Photoshop switch the active document nane to the saved file name.   AU_RGB.png is saved first then  AU_RGB_RGB.jpg is save then AU_RGB_RGB_RGB.tif  file is saved because the current document's name changed with each save.   You could try downloading and installing Image Processor Pro... Plug-in.  Try using it instead of your action to save your png, jpg and Tif  no action is needed with the Plug-in for a simple Save AS file types. The Image Processor Pro script File Save may not change the current document name during its process it will remain AU  the _RGB will just be added to the saved files names so  will be AU_RGB for each file type. Adobe Images Processor has no option to save png files.  Image Processorp Pro is a better image processor.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, I found some positives as you have mentioned using Image Processor Pro, such as it does indeed fix the naming issue of adding another _RGB after each save, it does save in same location as my PDF, and can be included in the Actions steps.

However, when Batch running my new Actions that now include only Image Processor Pro save steps instead of my previous save as steps, and the Batch save as destination is set to none. Image Procesor Pro and/or Actions also open the newly created JPG and PNG files by Image Procssor Pro and also running the Actions again on them! resulting in too many files thaty I would need! (I only need 1 JPEG and 1 PNG,  do not need a tiff anymore)

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 14.37.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not compute right to me.  I believe you ran the image processor pro twice on your source image folder.  Image processors create a file  list of files to process from your source image folder and then process the files in the file list the image processor also only save new files and would not process any new file created for that file did not existed whet  the file list  was created. Image Processor Pro do not overwrite existing files.   When you ran the Image Processor the first time if it save new files into the source image folder the second  time you ran the image  processor Pro the files created during the first run would be in the File list of files to process.  If during the second run you had files saved to  an output folder no new files would be added to the source image folder during the second run. If you did not specify an output folder  and ran the image processor pro  like the first run there would be additional new files added the the source image folder  no file create during the first run would  over written the new files saved name would have version suffix number added.  Image Processors  Pro does not overwrite existing files.

What you are seeing is how Image Processor Pro does  not overwrite file.

The first run you added  _RGB suffix and save it in the  source image fldet. The second  secon run also added the _RGB suffix and since the file exists and addition suffix version _01 gets added. Whe the file creat in the first run with the  addedd  _RGB suffix was Prossed  a _RGB suff is was addeed so this created  the first version of  FileName_RGB_RGB no additional suffix would be added.

You had Image Processor Pro  process your output files  with the _RGB  to add a second RGB suffix the  First RGB Suffix.  You may not want to do that in the future

If you add no suffix Image Processor Pro will add a version number if the output file exist in the output folder.  

However there need to be separation between Source and Output. You making all file source files binary builds up rapidly 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096 in no time you will fill your disk. Well that wrong Photoshop will need a lot of time to fill your disk with image files.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for all the help.

So far, and thanks to your comments, I seem to be getting much closer to my desired result.

I have managed to implement "Image Processor Pro" save in the actions, and finally got to save the desired file in the same location.

However, and as my original file is a PDF (sourced from Indesign), Image Processor Pro keeps stopping as it asks me to save over the PDF! I do not want to save over my PDF. Please hlep me avoid these windows when Image Processor Pro runs.

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 19.51.58.png

and of course it cannot be saved as it is a PDF. also, if I add a "save as" step in my actions before Image Processor Pro runs, this will make Image Processor Pro save the newly created JPEG and PNG in the "save as" location in actions.

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 19.52.05.png

appretiate all the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not help you with PFD files there seems to be different PDF file formats.  There are Acrobat PDF file which can be imported into Photoshop Through an Import PDF dialog where Acrobat PDF Document pages, Images and 3D objects can bet exported as separated Photoshop documents.  Adobe is removing all Photoshop 3D features from Photoshop.  There is  also a Photoshop PDF file formats.  Photoshop PDF format Documents  files  open straight into Photoshop as layered Photoshop Documents.  Photoshop can also save PDF Presentation files. If do not know it they have Photoshop PDF format or Acrobat PDF format or a third PDF file format.  I just avoid  using PDF file with Photoshop. I do not want to have deal with PDF files compatibility issues,

Paul years ago made a PDF Processor Script  available on the web you may want to download and look at it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Abed.K – Is there a correct answer/s?

https://github.com/Paul-Riggott/PS-Scripts/blob/master/PDF%20ProcessorII.jsx

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html?m=1

P.S. Now that the issue has been found, do you need to batch rename the existing files which have incorrect names? Or will you just run the batch again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stephen_A_Marsh

I got PDFs saved in subfolders sourced from Indesign (over a hundred of them), this workflow will be repeated and consistantm so i need to find a way to do it efficiently and fast that can also be used by other colleagues.

I made an action that will import the PDF into Photoshop then crops a part of it that i will then need to save as JPEG and PNG in the same subfolder of each of those PDFs, and add _RGB to the name of them.

There is no change or save to be made to the original PDFs

Batch saving does the trick, but I got 2 issues with it:

1- It adds another suffiex _RGB to the name of the 2nd save ( XX_RGB_RGB.png)

2- I cannot get it to save in the same subfolder of the source PDF.

With @JJMack help here, I have changed my "save as" steps using Image Processor Pro and included that step in my actions. Image Processor Pro does indeed save with the desired suffix. and it manages to save in the same sub folder.

The problem I got here is that when the image to process is set to "Current Image" (which is what i need it to be set, in order to include it in my Action then Batch), Image Processor Pro wants to save the Current Image before proceeding with creating JPEG and PNG which is not possible considering it is an Acrobat PDF.

So I guess the correct answer would be any way around any of these:

- a way around Image Processor Pro saving the PDF (Current Image)?

- a way to make batch save in the same subfolder location of the origin PDF? 

- or a way to get Batch not to add another Suffix (_RGB) to the naming of the 2nd saved as file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What problem does Image processor pro... have saving you  Image Files list as Photoshop PDF  format  Files? Is it that you want to save Acrobat PDF files and Image Processor Pro only saves Photoshop PDF

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack  I just trying addind this step, hoping it will convert the PDF i got open and edited into a Phtosohop PDF before it moves on and saves as JPEG and PNG. but still got the same result:

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 09.39.13.png

 my conclusion is that:

- Batch naming convention that keeps adding a suffix after the other with each save as is just senseless, perhaps something Adobe needs to look itno.

- Batch needs to have an option of saving in the same location.

- Image Processor Pro forcing users to save file before running its process is also senseless and useless.

Thanks for all the help anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are having image Processor Pro process open document in Photoshop The document  need to have been saved new document that have not been saved have no  path  or parent path no fixed name on your system.  They can not be used with the image processor. The message you are getting state your new documents can not be processed by images Process. New documents names are not even harden till you save them.  Save the open document with  the name you want the files saved by image Processor pro to have, before using image processor.  Image processor type scripts often they require things like parents, paths,  nanes  etc that are not in new document yet..  

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I thought that JJMack had answered the question regarding the repeated filename components.

I see that there are more issues that you are facing. I have read this topic thread multiple times and I am lost.

What I will say, is that generally IPP is run as a script, with various file processing parameters selected, including an action to run (the action would have any open or save steps removed, as IPP is doing that).

Although IPP can be recorded into an action, that is less common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines