• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Script Export > Save For Web (Legacy) GIF (saves instead as jpg)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create actions for export an image as:

Export > Save For Web (Legacy) > GIF

Running this in a batch always saves the images as jpegs instead. Is there a way arount this, and to have it actually save as a GIF with specific settings I've recorded? I specifically want the look for processing colour-limited GIF palettes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

I think I've answered my own problem here, but hopefully it will help someone else down the road: when you are on the batch prompt/pop up, make sure to check both of "Overide Action 'Open' Commands" and "Override Action 'Save As' Commands, if you have recorded those in your action. Seems to have resolved my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the action work correctly on a single image not using batch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can confirm that if I run it from the actions panel, on a single image, it exports/saves as I like it. 

I've noticed that if I enable/check 'Override actions "Save As" commands', then I can save each as a gif, BUT I have to manually click save on each one which feels like it defeats the batch purpose. If I leave unchecked, it provides the jpeg quality save prompt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I should clarify; running the action independently works, but running my current script while having the 'Override actions "Save As" commands'' checked off just flies through the set of images, not saving any of them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a cropped screenshot of the action panel with the action fully expanded and with the save step expanded and the panel wide enough to view the content. Also post a screenshot of the batch window as you have it configured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've answered my own problem here, but hopefully it will help someone else down the road: when you are on the batch prompt/pop up, make sure to check both of "Overide Action 'Open' Commands" and "Override Action 'Save As' Commands, if you have recorded those in your action. Seems to have resolved my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Incorrect use of these two checkboxes is a common problem:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html#batch_and_droplet_processing_opt...

"Override Action "Open" Commands: To use this option, the action must contain an Open command. Otherwise, the Batch command won't open the files you've selected for batch-processing. Selecting this option doesn't disregard everything in an Open command—only the choice of files to open."

"Override Action "Save As" Commands: To use this option, the action must contain a Save As command. Otherwise, the Batch command won't save the processed files. Selecting this option doesn't skip everything in the Save As command—only the specified filename and folder."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines