Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blend modes to PNG

Contributor ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forum.

I'm trying to merge my layers and export my file as a PNG file. When I do merge visible/ with the background the merged layers look intact, But when I remove the background ( and canvas is transparent) and then do merge visible, I lose the effect I want to achieve. Is it possible to merge all the layers without a background, or are blend modes to be used specifically to blend in with a background image?

Thank you.

PS: I have tried to export my file as a PNG with all the layers still having their blend modes applied, but even when exported as a PNG file, the blending mode

disappears.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Instead of doing a Merge Visible, try this.

• Set up al of your layers as you want them with the right blend modes.
  • Turn off your background
  • Select the very top layer
  • Do what is called a "Stamp Image" by pressing Shift+Option+Command+E. (You have now created a new layer combining all of the lower layers, using all of their blend modes)
  • Hide all of your lower layers and just keep the new top stamped layer visible.
  • Save as a PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Do what is called a "Stamp Image" by pressing Shift+Option+Command+E. (You have now created a new layer combining all of the lower layers, using all of their blend modes)
  • Hide all of your lower layers and just keep the new top stamped layer visible.
  • Save as a PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Daniel+E+Lane  wrote

• Save as a PNG.

That's what I do when merging groups and layers has unexpected results.  Smart Objects that contain layers with non default blend mode can be a cause, but Groups can mess you up as well.  Adding a copy merged layer to the top of the stack has always fixed it for me.

Michael Ninness describes that sort of shortcut as 'mashing the keyboard' but with this case, adding the E key. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

This is not working for me. I am using pin light and when I do the above it does not reatin the pin light blend. My image mode is 8 bit. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding example files for you:
Need to export this design layer - not the photo behind it. When I do as the above suggests it flattens and does not retain pin light effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screenshot with Layers panel visible? It is not common for blending modes to disappear wen exporting but we can only guess what is going on without to see composition and Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this? Is it possible to save just the texture layer in PNG, without the background?

kornelijek_0-1629706371737.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Copy the mask onto the background before saving as PNG

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks or you replies.

Here is a screen shot, with one of the layer blend modes set to: soft light.

If the 3 layers are merged, the blend mode is intact. When I remove the background layer, and try to merge, the blend soft light blend modes, seems to default to normal again making the white stroke visible. Now I'm posting this more for theory reasons. I know I can make a soft brush and make a stroke, lower its opacity. But this is more for educational reasons I'm trying to understand why PS is behaving this way.

adobe-forum.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I remove the background layer, and try to merge, the blend soft light blend modes, seems to default to normal again making the white stroke visible.

That is as expected, one Layer can only have one Blend Mode.

For some Blend Modes and Layers the effect can be »isolated« (in RGB for example a Layer with true grey pixels set to »Multiply« can be transformed into a Layer with black pixels with transparency) but not for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this exact problem with blending modes disappearing when I stamped or merged visible layers. I checked my Image>Mode, and it was set to 16 bit. I changed it to 8 bit channel and all worked as expected.

I had tried all the other fixes listed and they did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines