• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge file associations falls back to Photoshop 2021 after update to 23.0.1

Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Photoshop 23.0.1 all my Photoshop file associations have fallen back to Photoshop 2021. Before the update (23.0) the file associations worked fine. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Hi Andreas,

Quick question: when you installed things, was PS installed before or after Bridge? If it was installed before, that might explain why the FTAs are not proper. Let me also ask, when you go to the Tools menu in Bridge, do you see any Photoshop options? If not, read on.

When you install PS, it looks to see if Bridge is there. If not, it installs a normal installation. But, if Bridge is there, than there are a number of scripts that are installed into Bridge, including the Tools and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even uninstalling and reinstalling Bridge doesn't fix the problem. This has been an issue for years now - Bridge having problems with associating Photoshop versions properly after updates. I't sad to see that this issue is still lingering around. At least a button to set the default Adobe program would help. Now I have to go through all the file types individually and change to associations to Photoshop 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are again. After updating to Photoshop 2023, all my file type associations in Bridge are still pointing to Photoshop 2022. So I have to go through all of them individually and change them. And there's not even a "Photoshop 2023" entry in the association drop-down. I have to pick the EXE-file manually. How can this still be a thing?

So either have a popup window, when you open Bridge after the Photoshop Update for the first time, asking me if I want to update all the file associations. Or have a button or menu entry somewhere that let's me start a batch action that updates ALL the associations for a certain program to the version that I want. 

And if there's an option to batch-change the Photoshop associations, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andreas,

Quick question: when you installed things, was PS installed before or after Bridge? If it was installed before, that might explain why the FTAs are not proper. Let me also ask, when you go to the Tools menu in Bridge, do you see any Photoshop options? If not, read on.

When you install PS, it looks to see if Bridge is there. If not, it installs a normal installation. But, if Bridge is there, than there are a number of scripts that are installed into Bridge, including the Tools and lets Bridge know that the FTAs for PS should reflect 2023, not 2022. 

What you probably need to do is to uninstall PS, then reinstall PS. IF that doesn't work, than uninstall both and reinstall both but be sure to install Bridge FIRST!

Let us know if this solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Gary.

Thanks for replying. I can't really tell which one was installed first. I usually press the update buttons in the cloud app from top to bottom. So Photoshop would probably be installed first as it's on the top of the list. But to be honest. That should not be a concern of the user - to be careful what to install first. Especially as Photoshop is higher up in the app list of the cloud app. Either prompt the user to install Bridge first, or have Bridge check, if a new Photoshop version was installed and take action. Unfortunately this issue is there as long as I can remember. After so many years, that should not be an issue any more.

The Photoshop options are there under the Tool menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling PS2023 and reinstalling it fixed the associations. I will try to keep that in mind for the future. Yet there still needs to be an option to make this work even if you installed PS before. Adobe, please take care of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think every version of Bridge I have had to fix the file associations. Uninstalling then reinstalling takes more time than just fixing them, but it is a pain. I saw the post about a new and improved file association preference window and thought it might actually have a way to batch update the associations, but no - still gotta go fix every one... I don't know what is new or improved about it otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines