• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush Cursor changing to Crosshair

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is a Photoshop glitch or a problem with my keyboard but the circular brush cursor occasionally disappears. Firstly, caps is not on, secondly, I haven't made the brush size too big for the screen. I've been having a problem recently with my Mac where my caps lock gets stuck on and I have to do a PRAM reset to turn it off, I initially thought the Photoshop brush problem was related to this but it happens now even when my caps is off.

I've noticed a string of problems popping up in InDesign 2017 on the new iMac I work on due to the graphics card etc. so I thought it might be version related.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Hi Dative,

Most of the time it gets fixed by turning off the Caps lock key, since you have already tried it you may try and reset Photoshop preferences.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

I'm probably way late, but I just solved this on my own MBP in the most unexpected way and want to leave it for any future users.  I initially reset Photoshop preferences and nothing happened.  But I was using my laptop in clamshell closed mode and when I cracked it open, I discovered that even though caps lock was off on the external keyboard, it was on on the laptop, which somehow activated the PS brush toggle.  Guess even with the lid closed, the keyboard remains active and receives priority

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Actually, go to brushes settings and use PRECISE...that gives you back the circle size of the brush!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I've been trying to find an answer to this for weeks & didn't even think to check the laptop keyboard.  This fixed it. Thanks for taking the time to post this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!! This was driving me mad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Brilliant. This is axactly what was going on. Thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you resolve this? im having the same problem but my caps lock is off the preferences are correct, ive reset everything!! its driving me mad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobdoy is in the forum fo r"most of the time" fizes duder.   I think the "Your Caps Lock Is on" answer is downright offensive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem, but with a Wacom Intuos tablet plugged in.  If I use the trackpad to draw, the brush tool is normal.  However, if I use the stylus on my Wacom tablet, the cursor becomes crosshairs and does not draw a brush.  I've had this problem in the past and the only success I've had is by restarting the whole machine.  Caps lock is not on.  It's very frustrating.  I'll update if I ever find out how to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aLSO CANNOT RESOLVE THIS. cLEARLTY AN ISSUS WITH aDOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a complete reinstall brsuh defaults to crosshairs instead of circl and caps lock does not fix the issue. Just trying to work here and I cannot. Having several issues with my brand new mac laptop and photoshop 2022 fully updated, HELP ME PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you’ve tried both the left and the right bracket keys. Sometimes
your circle is too big and the default is crosshair. So just keep tapping
that left key until you get your circle back. Hope that helps.--
[Personal info removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solves a problem I have been seeing for years! . I need to look in support more with better searches too. Thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, just in case, you can also get the crosshair cursor if the brush is larger than what can be shown on screen.
But I'll keep the laptop tip for future reference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, go to brushes settings and use PRECISE...that gives you back the circle size of the brush!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for that! I was going mad, and all of the other suggestions were not solving my issue. Now if I could only get the 40 minuteus of my life back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my gosh! THANK YOU! This is EXACTLY what my issue was...I have toggled everything on and off, restarted, reset, and then finally found your answer! THANK YOU for updating this thread. 🙂 Stay well! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, solved it for me!!! Adobe, you really should get this one fixed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU, TJ!!! I was pulling what litle remains of my hair when I saw your post. Looked over at the Macbook, and, holy cow (as we say in WI) there was that tiny little green light blazing away. Walk of Fame star for you, my friend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TJSearl THANK YOU. I've been absolutley losing my mind, what a simple fix. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you!

This is exactly what was happening to me.

I was going crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU TJSearl! The caps lock on my laptop was on! Such a silly thing was costing me so much time trying to figure it out. I appreciate your solution!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, NONE of the above fixes worked for me, then I noticed that n preferences the hardness was set to 0%, I changed this to 2% and my brush cursor becoma a circle again - don't ask me why!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue was that I have 2 keyboards and one had the caps lock on. Silly, and I spent lots of time trying to figure it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet antoher problem that has no business even being on my mind.  My brush, Erasor tool / aANYny tool reverts back to the cross hairs, and its nothing to do with the CAPS LOCK being on or off, or my laptop being open or clsoed with screen sharing.  I am not reisntalling PS, whih seems to be the asnwer to ALL the problems int his forum.  I dont see any Prefs for this becasue I've never had to go hunting for something so stupid simple that has never and should never be an issue.  What is the deal? 

ANY kind of problem with tools are CRITICA, and shoudl be escaleted to the highest levl of cocnern fo ryoru UI team.  Can tsee your TOOL HEAD?  Thats crazy.  That sliek a ghosit trying to change a lightbulb.  ive said it before adn Ill say it again: Photoshop and all he Creative Suite apps worked like a dream 15 years ago.  You guys have done nothing but manifest a galaxy of bugs, all for your new magical, lazy tools like person-delete with the emagic band-aid or whatever dont work at all.  Next youll be selling AI and it wont work.  Just simplify simplify simplify.  All of us real designers in the world know this.  Nobody cares abotu feature-rich products.  We want trust and loyalty.  I have no faith in CC and Ive never been paying more.  Every single time I hit save my sphincter tightens up for a major crash, and I have so many projets open..itsd stright up traumatic.  Dammit Adobe, what happaned to you?  Is this an interal culutre thing, or ar eyour engineers jsut trying to keep busy?    Also: have the minimum respect for us - get spell check in your forum.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017.  All your ansers are back there.  before they stared trying to make this Suite for "everybody".  It will get so much worse dude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines