• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

brush cursor flickering to arrow cursor

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When painting with the paintbrush the cursor flickers between the round brush size cursor to an arrowhead.  The paintbrush continues painting as it should, but the cursor flickers constantly between the 2.  This is a visual annoyance but doesn't seem to affect performance.  Has anyone else had this happen and is there a possible fix?

I'm on Photoshop CS6 (latest updates) on 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with OS X 10.6.8.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

We have seen that on MacOS 10.6.8 -- due to some third party plugins that needed to be updated, and to an older wacom driver that needed an update.

Also, make sure you have the current updates installed (13.0.3 or 13.1.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

This flickering cursor has been driving me CRAZY The flickering ONLY happens in Adobe programs (Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and I ALSO have the flickering cursor with my Apple Trackpad. There are NO flickering issues on any other programs outside of the Adobe suite. Even trying to use the Pen tool in InDesign is SO difficult...because of the flickering cursor...it keeps changing back and forth from the pen tool to the arrowhead, making it very difficult to work. I am on a new iMa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

I was experiencing this problem with the latest version of Photoshop (21.1.1) running on MacOS (10.15.4). I finally figured out that auto-activation in the font management app RightFont (5.8.4) was the culprit. After disabling auto-activation of fonts for Photoshop, the problem went away. Anyone experiencing this problem may want to disable auto-activation in their 3rd-party font management app to see if that is the cause. You may also try disabling the app entirely if the first step doesn't do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

The newly installed Suitcase Fusion 2 extension also caused the eraser or brush cursor to flicker, making it very hard to use accurately! Uninstalling the Suitcase Fusion 2 plug in fixed the issue. Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the Solution! Thanks, this was the End of a 2-Day Journey across the web... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling font activation in Right Font (v 6.1) fixed it for me as well. Photoshop CC 25.3.1 as of October 2022. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for addressing this issue! I'm running a 2019 Mac Pro and a Wacom Cintiq with the latest installments of PS CC 2023 all up to date drivers and all. My problem is when I'm using and painting with the brush tool on a layer that contains a layer mask, my cursor flickers into the arrow icon while implimenting strokes with the brush tool/Eraser. Doesn't affect the performance but the distraction is extremely anoying and couneter productive as it blocks what I'm seeing with the arrow flickering and obstructing the view. Howvever, when I go onto a new layer that doesn't contain a layer mask, the issue is not present anymore. So in essence, I can only paint on layers without masks, kinda impossible when illustrating and isolating shapes. Can you please explain to me how I can disable auto-activation in 3rd party font management? This issue has been driving me bonkers as an illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling auto-activation depends on the font management software. In Right Font as well as older versions of Suitcase, there's a preference that allows you to select which apps will auto-activate. This screenshot is from Right Font. Go to PREFERENCES: AUTO ACTIVATION and click on each app you want to disable auto activate for.

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 6.04.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey A big thank you, the annoyance flew away with your advice. Really appreciate your help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN my case it was an old installation of the AAM (Adobe Application Manager).

I just coincidentally checked for 32-Bit applications which will not be running when updating the OS once. It never was  uninstalled by Adobe Updater when updating from CS6 to CSS and was still runnning in the background, interferring with Photoshop!

Adobe the most horrible software house ever ... it is unbelievable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I had this problem with photoshop 2020. I didn't had any photoshop plugins or font extensions installed and tried everything (list below), so maybe that will help someone else too.
I've installed the latest wacom drivers, updated my windows 11, installed latest video card drivers (AMD), disabled windows ink, created folder PSUserConfig in Photoshop settings (tablet users are probably aware of it) - nothing helped. Wanted to try disabling font activation, but you can't do that in the 2020 version of Photoshop! (also tried 2021 and 2022 versions of PS - didn't catch that bug there, but other lags and pain appeared  🤌  🤌 

So,
My solution was installing myself Photoshop 2019 - and everything works like clockwork. I don't know, it's like the older the version of Adobe (PS), the smoothier it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deselecting "Enable Generator" worked for me. It's in the preferences menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the responce, but it was already deselected in my setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines