Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brushes in PS stuck, don't allow strokes, dabbing works until I zoom in or out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

a couple of weeks ago, after one of the adobe updates to be precise my brushes in PS started to get stuck whenever I wanted to make a stroke with he spot healing brush, or any other brush. Dabbing works, no strokes, though. I then zoom in or out with CTRL and + or - on the number pad, other methods of zooming, don't resolve ths issue, only CTRL and + or - work for a a minute or two until the same issue occurs again. I bought my PC in April and there haven't been any issues until that adobe update caused this behaviour.

I did reset my tools, I have trashed my Photoshop preferences (hold Alt+Control+Shift) but ISTILL can't figure out why this happens and how to solve the issue without using zoom in or out 30 to 35 times in order to edit a single photo. This slows my workflow down by a lot and causes quite a frustration.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.2

System:  i7-10700, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, RTX3070 (RTX3070 is activated in the settings of LR and PS)

I am on Windows 10 with all updates, the graphics driver as well as wacom driver are up to date.

Any advice that would help to solve my issue?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

This is solution for my concern:

When I bought the PC in April 2021 everything was fine. A month later some update, either one from Adobe or Microsoft caused a troublesome situation when I tried to use pen pressure for my Wacom tablet / pen combination as my brush settings started to show me a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. I was not able to adjust it anymore (after it worked fine for a month). So I looked up the issue and found many people on YouTube advising to deactivate Windows Ink

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Photoshop recognize your graphics card when you look in Preferences/Performance (top right panel)?

Do you only have one graphics card installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

yes, my graphics cars is being recogized by Photoshop and is activated as mentioned in my initial post. (RTX3070 is activated in the settings of LR and PS) and yes, there is only one graphics card installed. No on-board graphics card available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant graphics card, not cars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your input device? A mouse or pen/tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Wacom tablet. The drivers are always updated to the latest version, either PC, graphics card or Wacom tablet.

Another attempt I will try, I will switch from the NVIDIA Studia Drivers to the NVIDIA Game Ready drivers for the RTX 3070.

I have called the adobe support line a couple of days ago, they suggested to use a mouse in order to see if the same error occurs when using a mouse. It doesn't. That's why I have ordered a new Wacom tablet and once it arrives I will try the new tablet and will post if that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you reset your brush settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I really hate to quote myself but as you don't seem to have read my initial post and ask a question for the second time about something I already have mentioned when I have opened this thread:

"I did reset my tools, I have trashed my Photoshop preferences (hold Alt+Control+Shift)" Yes, I did reset my brush settings!

Anyway, I have resolved the concern myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is solution for my concern:

When I bought the PC in April 2021 everything was fine. A month later some update, either one from Adobe or Microsoft caused a troublesome situation when I tried to use pen pressure for my Wacom tablet / pen combination as my brush settings started to show me a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. I was not able to adjust it anymore (after it worked fine for a month). So I looked up the issue and found many people on YouTube advising to deactivate Windows Ink and to create a PSUserConfig.txt file adding a text (UseSystemstylus 0) and voila pen pressure worked again.

Some time later, I assume after another update either by Adobe or Microsoft, I started to experience a different problem, which I have explained in the first post of this thread. Unfortunately I forgot about the PSUserConfig.txt file with the text (UseSystemstylus 0) I had placed in Photoshop preferences folder back then. So I started to find out what was messed up again but could not find any solution to my problem, not in this community, not with the Adobe helpdesk hotline.

Remembering the PSUserConfig.txt file with the text (UseSystemstylus 0) I have removed it from the Photoshop preferences folder and my problem with the tools getting stuck and not allowing to make strokes with the brushed was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! indeed, quite often, workarounds are shared or found online, but they are exactly that, sometimes, it is good to have a logbook of such changes, like Preferences changes, and remember to check if the issue is gone after a system/drivers/Ps update, and see if the workaround can be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines