• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug - Clipboard problem - Sometimes can't Paste images into existing canvas

Participant ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, sometimes I get a weird bug where I can't Paste a copied image into an active canvas in photoshop. To fix the problem I have to jump through some specific hoops (hoping this is helpful to you guys for fixing the bug, too)

The problem:
Sometimes when I Right click (in my browser for example) > Copy image > Paste into my acvtive photoshop canvas > The previous/wrong/cached file from the clipboard is pasted in. No matter if i use Ctrl+V or Edit > Paste, same result. 

The solution:
I have to goto File > New (note this is actually the wrong canvas size, it should be the copied file dimensions like it normally is) > Create > Paste now works > Close this new file > Paste again in my canvas and NOW it does work.

It's bizarre. Note this doesn't always happen. Maybe 50% of the time only. 

I'm on windows 10, and I keep my photoshop up to date (subscription)

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, but after reading several topics about the issue I turned multiple clipboards in windows on and off again and that did seem to do the trick. At least for now.
But this is still an issue that should be addressed instead of turning off basic OS functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* Update 19-8 *

The issue has come back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think i have multiple clipboard turned on anyway, so it cannot be that.

Also, when this bug happens, sometimes if I right click > copy > and wait 3-5 seconds in the same window > THEN goto photoshop and paste > it works more often. But its not like windows doesnt instantly capture the Copy function, it does, its photoshop that requires that time to update its cache or registry. It almost seems like a performance issue on photoshop's end, like slow / sluggish / laggy processing with the windows clipboard.

It can't be windows because in photoshop i can simply goto File > New > and it pastes fine. Also ANY OTHER PROGRAM works fine too. It's photoshop's active document that is the issue. It's like there is a lag between windows Copy function and photoshop reading the clipboard update (but again, ONLY in the active document, if i create a new document it works fine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug in Photoshop, not your PC. I've been dealing with it for years. It was so aggravating that I even bought a new laptop to see if it was my system. It wasn't. This happens on every PC laptop I've used since around 2020.

Let's say you have Picture 1 and Picture 2. In this example, Picture 1 is 4000 x 3000 and picture 2 is 800 x 1200. You copy picture 1 (with paste clipboard setting on), create a new file, paste, and it works. Then you go to Picture 2, copy, create new file... and I can already tell it's not going to work b/c the new file retained the 4000 x 3000 dimensions instead of the dimensions of the new copy, which is 800 x 1200. I try pasting image anyways, and not only did it start a new doc at the previous paste's dimensions, but it also pastes that previous image of Picture 1.

Now here's where it gets weird. I "X" out of that New doc and create another new doc and suddenly the dimensions are showing 800 x 1200, as it should. I go to paste, and it pastes the correct picture 2 in the correct dimensions of 800 x 1200.... but keep in mind that I never went back to the original image to re-copy Picture 2.

So, this sequence of events makes me think that the bug is that the clipboard is remembering the first copy of Picture 1, which it tries to force as your first paste. Then the clipboard must also know that the Picture 2 copy is on the clipboard, so it pasted the correct Picture 2 on the second attempt.

But obviously this is not normal, as it should've pasted Picture 2 on the first attempt rather than wanting to paste Picture 1 first and then Picture 2.

So where do we go from here???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the exact same problem as you and I also bypass it by creating a new document, then copy-pasting the image back from that new document. I am so sorry nobody has given you a proper solution, I will keep looking :C 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so photoshop engineers know, this IS a different bug than the incorrect canvas size from clipboard. To clarify, this particular thread is about "incorrect pasted document" 

Granted, it may be related in some way to the clipboard size bug, because the way I solve the "incorrect pasting" bug with create new document > paste (now working) > actually has the incorrect clipboard size when creating new document - so really, the 'incorrect clipboard size' bug was happening to me long before it was an issue that affected everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we expect to see a solution to this issue since it is really is negatively impacting my workflow if I i constantly have to have a secondary program open just to paste my image so Photoshop updates it's clipboard.

Turning off the Windows basic funcionality of multiple clipboards only fixed the issue for about a week. After which it somehow returned and cant be fixed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pinging @Pete.Green about the multiple clipboard option of windows. 

@smeckdesigns are you talking about Microsoft Windows clipboard history: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-help-with-clipboard-30375039-ce71-9fe4-5b30-21b7aab6...

or Microsoft Office multiple clipboards? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/copy-and-paste-using-the-office-clipboard-714a72af-1ad4-4... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response, I don't seem to be getting notifications anymore.
I was talking about the multiple clipboards, but both options have been turned off, without any change.
But having to manually turn off basic Windows 10 functions in order to actually use Photoshop seems to be a huge oversight if you ask me. Especially since this issue hasn't been fixed in 2 major updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this same issue for well over a year. I asked about it in another forum last month and was verbally attacked by another user who was tired of hearing that his suggestions didn't work... in a Q&A troubleshooting forum, mind you.

What I have noticed about this incredibly annoying problem that Photoshop engineers refuse to address is that the clipboards seem to be storing multiple images/settings from previous copies in the clipboard, and when I try to paste in the most recent image, it will take X amount of File>New (paste to clipboard) attempts based on the number of times I've copied an image (from the internet). In other words, I will copy a first image, go to photoshop, paste to clipboard, and I'm usually good. Then I copy another image from the internet, go to photoshop, paste to clipboard, and I can already tell there will be a problem b/c the size of the clipboard is clearly wrong. For example, picture 1 was horizontal, picture 2 is vertical, but the clipboard to paste #2 is showing that it will be in horizontal format. This is verified with the next step where it creates the blank page in horizontal format. So then I'll CTRL-V paste, and it will either try to paste image #2 into the incorrect horizontal format OR it will paste the first image again... even though I clearly copied a second image. Here's where it gets interesting though... If I just let that play out and do the File>New process again, eventually it will work despite NOT having gone back to recopy the second image. After consecutive failed attempts, it will eventually work. So this is what leads me to believe that the clipboard is storing the data from the previous jobs and mixing it up and combining settings incorrectly when the user says to paste clipboard.

Please address this issue. It's incredibly frustrating to pay annually for a service and be ignored for a year. I have included a screen recording that highlights one of the issues mentioned above where I copy horizontal image 1, paste to clipboard, everything is good. Copy vertical image 2, paste to clipboard, but the blank file maintains the horizontal settings of the first copy even though it pastes in the correct image #2. Then, without going back to re-copy the second image, I hit File>New again and suddenly the correct image pastes into the correct vertical format. This video does not show how sometimes the most recent paste attempt not only maintains the page size of the previous copy but also pastes in the previous image. That event didn't happen during the recording, however it did happen right after I shut off the recorder and attempted to copy/paste the last image. I just didn't want to go back and re-record b/c there's no way to predict which issue will arise, only that an issue WILL arise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found a version without this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue- had to install an older version of ps as the new one was giving me a bug with the '3D' functions (canvas rotate, etc). So I'm currently using 23.2.1- I had been having this issue a year or so ago and then it cleared up. Using this older version has had me encountering the issue again.

System Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just jumping in here to see if there's any update on this. I'm have the same problem, exactly as OP describes it.

1) When working in a Photoshop file, copy & pasting one image from Chrome works as intended.

2) Copying a 2nd image from Chrome will paste correctly into any other program, but if I try to paste that 2nd image into Photoshop, it continues to paste the 1st image. 

3) Opening a new Photoshop document somehow fixes the issue, allowing me to paste the 2nd image into Photoshop.

4) Trying to copy & paste a 3rd image from Chrome resets us to step 2, where the prior image is the only one that pastes into Photoshop.

My Windows Clipboard History is turned off and I have cleared the clipboard data in Windows, with no results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same. Always updating to the newes version of CC. It lasts for good few months now or maybe a year....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had it in 2020 version, still have it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years go by, this stupid bug still exists. Got introduced around ~2020 version. Still pastes previous copied image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this bug is still a thing. I have to copy images from the browser to another app like Pure Ref and then paste into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem on multiple computers and multiple versions of PS for years. Wierd thing is different fixes work different times. Nothing consistant and it just happens in PhotoShop. I can paste an image into AI, Corel, and Windows, but when I try in PS, it chooses the last successful image that was pasted, no matter it's original source.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post but I have recently started seeing this problem. As the original post discussed - WIN 10 - I am using WIN 11. The original post-er indicated the he thought this was a photoshop problem. This is in essence a PS problem, but it isnt PS causing the problem. PS just happens to be the victim of it and it and windows picks PS to be its path. It didn’t make sense to me how this occurred/started. Working fine, then all of the sudden NOT WORKING fine. This issue, while it picks PS to be its outlet, it is definitely a windows problem. I do not know the tech details behind it, but it is windows and or the snipping tool app in windows. After trying everything I uninstalled the snipping tool, then reinstalled. It now is working. If it occurs again its something Microsoft + Adobe will have to find a sollution to repair.  dw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I don't know if you have figured out a solution since. I had the same issue since more than a year now, and reading some comments made me realise that the cliboard history IS the solution.

When pasting from ctrl+V is not working, that's because your PS project might keep the last thing copied from PS itself (If you copied nothing from PS, pasting will do nothing as it has nothing to paste). At least that's what it does for me. To resolve that I had to do something else on PS and then paste again (so yes, probably cache issue), sometimes I had to do it 2 or 3 times.

Now, I have activated my clipboard history, I just have to do win+V to open clipboard history and click on the image I actually want to paste.

So instead of doing ctrl+V, I do win+V and click on the image, problem resolved. I hope it helps !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines