Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Burn tool

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using Ps 2021 on my desktop running Catalina 10.15.7. I am trying to use the burn tool but it seems to no avail. I click on the tool and set the brush size exposure and exposure. I then start to brush and nothing, zero. There must be something I am missing.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sisyphus 1 

You didn't share a screen shot, so try these:

• Reset the tool. Right-click the burn tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and choose Reset tool
  • Check your Layers panel. Which layer are you on? What is the opacity?

Show a screenshot if it is still not working. Use the Screenshot App that comes with macOS.

For a better method, watch this tutorial from Jesús Rameriz from the Photoshop Training Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoXo5269RFQ

Start at 13m40s if you only want Dodge and Burn.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sisyphus 1 

Did this work for you or do you still need help?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane
Apologises for not replying sooner. Yes the reset worked but all it seemed to do was paint a grey patch over the area I wished to darken. I was using this in a new layer. I would upload the photo but it is a photo of a child, basically there is a patch of sunlight on the child's forehead that I was trying to darken. It looked Like I had applied grey paint to the area, The exposure was for a 30 per cent and it was set for highlights.

I’m fairly new to Ps and Lr so some of the problems may be down to me, so in a nutshell further assistance would be appreciated.
Kind regards

David Lomas

[email removed as per forum guidelines and for your protection]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sisyphus 1 

Did you create a new layer filled with 50% gray and set to the Overlay Blending mode first?

janee_0-1679322860744.gif

If you didn't follow the tutorial from Jesús, you can find written instructions from Steve Patterson for the same technique here:

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/dodge-burn/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

Many thanks for your help, in answer to your two questions no I have not seen the video or read the written instructions. I have had other issues to deal with. I will however look at the video from Jesús and the written instructions from Steve, and post my results.

Kind regards

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jane 

I have watched the video, and I will read the written instructions, as I said I am new and the learning curve is steep. I will keep you posted on my education. I have tried working from the video but I think I need another watch and more practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines