C drive full but scratch disk set to external hardrive

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use illustrator and photoshop everyday at work and have all my work saved onto an external hardrive. Recently when saving large files an error comes up stating the C drive is full so the work cannot be saved. I have turned off save recovery and changed the scratch disk location to my external hardive. I have also cleared the temporary files on my computer. I should mention that I am also connected to the works server, but I don't save anything to that as I know that will take up storage space. Does anyone know how to fix this issue. This has also happened to a colleague recently.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

How much free space do you have on your C drive exactly and how much do you have for the scratch disk

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have 63.7 gb out of 474gb free on the c drive. I have moved my scratch disk to my external drive which has 742 gb free. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

60GB should normally be enough to keep Photoshop operational - although that's still not enough to be safe. I'd consider 250 - 300 an absolute minimum.

How big is the file you're trying to save? Aside from disk footprint, what's the pixel size, how many layers? Smart objects?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

254,818 kb and I'm mostly using illustrator. Its Tiff files and gradients I'm using.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines