Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw opening on other monitor

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a laptop and a screen attached to it. I always use the screen for photoshop as its much larger. I open my NEF raw files directly into Camera Raw. I don't think I made it do that, as its always done it

My problem is when a file is opened, it open Camera Raw on the laptop screen. There does not seem to be a method of moving it to the monitor. Its most annoying as the monitor is calibrated and the laptop screen isn't, so the images show colour differently

I would be glad to hear any suggestion that might solve this

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Hi Michellep,

Sorry to hear about this, let us help you make it right. Could you please let us know which operating system are you working on?How to

Also, you can try changing the primary display, please check the links below according to your Os for steps:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-to-set-primary-monitor-in-extended-desktop/e9aaef4e-1dc7-4139-9b4a-f5b562d4fd27

How to Set Primary monitor in Extended Desktop - Microsoft Community

Set the Primary Display on a Dual-Screen Mac Setup

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michellep,

Sorry to hear about this, let us help you make it right. Could you please let us know which operating system are you working on?How to

Also, you can try changing the primary display, please check the links below according to your Os for steps:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-to-set-primary-monitor-in-ex...

How to Set Primary monitor in Extended Desktop - Microsoft Community

Set the Primary Display on a Dual-Screen Mac Setup

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is way too complicated and a bit off the mark. See my answer for a better sense of what is the problem and for what would be an easily implemented solution if Adobe cared to fix the issue.

Regards, J.M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am understanding the answer correctly, it is not possible to have Camera Raw open on a display other than the primary display? I would very much like to have Camera Raw open on a display other than the primary display. It would ve great to learn that this is possible. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the above posr, for "ve" please read "love". Sorry for any confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you drag it over? That should normally stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's what I thought as well, but despite dragging it over, each new image opens on the smaller primary monitor. And I need to drag each time. No stickiness. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this

Drag camera raw to the primary screen

Quit Photoshop

Reopen Photoshop

Is Camera Raw opening new images on the promary screen now?

I hope this helps

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Thanks.

The issue is that Camear Raw always opens on the prinary monitor, and I want it to open on a secondary monitor.

Stay well,

SteveM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not at all normal behavior. I've been dragging the ACR window (and everything else) between monitors for years, and never had a single issue with it. Wherever you leave it, is where it will be next time you boot up.

This sounds a bit like one of those things you get with laptops. There are so many manufacturer modifications to the operating system, that you never know what comes out the other side.

I'd try to dig into the laptop and Windows settings. Not sure what to look for, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot drag the ACR window at all under Windows 11 (even to reposition it on the primary monitor).  Desktop machine, not a laptop.  Like the other poster, I want to open the ACR window on my secondary monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lensflash,

I too would love to move the camera raw window from my main monitor to my secondary monitor but no matter what I try it will not drag and drop on Windows 11? Very very frustrating indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Albiemanmike  I am having the same problem and it's really annoying. Adobe, please look into this, it should be seamless like LightRoom, why is Photoshop acting this way on Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Double-click on the Camera Raw window top, then you can drag the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware you can do that I'm an IT Admin. That doesn't however stick and it opens the very next time in the other monitor. Very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue but then minimized the Camera Raw window and postioned my cursor on the left side of the window (my larger monitor is on the right side of my laptop) and moved it (actually pushed it slowly) over to my larger monitor. Once it was on my larger monitor I made if full screen and it worked fine. Additionally when I re-opened Camera Raw from Photoshop, it opened in my larger screen. I tried it multiple times and it has stayed on the larger monitor. In fact I just did it again while writing this (just to make sure) and it opened in my larger monitor. That's what worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the latest PS and Win10.  It seems that camera raw filter window will only open on the primary monitor.  I should be able to move it to whatever monitor I want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Thomas309079689j98 have you tried dragging the app window to the monitor screen you'd prefer, quitting then reopening Camera Raw?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it simply doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get it to move either. I don't want camera raw always on  my monitor, just various times. I used to be able to do this with an older version of bridge/ps but no more.

I want to be able to use both screens ar various times. How can this be done.

Windows 10 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SHARON21928969oaq1 

Don't the tips above help you?

Have you tried dragging the raw app window to the monitor screen you'd prefer, quitting and then reopening Camera Raw?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant get it to budge Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems camera raw filter will only open on whichever monitor is your main
monitor. I had to change my main monitor from being on my laptop screen,
to being one of my external monitors, since the latter is where I wanted it
to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that camera raw filter only opens onto the primary monitor and it
doesn't allow you to move it to other monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround, and it has continued to work so far, even after opening and closing Photoshop. It requires two pieces of third-party software: WinSpy (https://github.com/strobejb/winspy/releases/tag/v1.8.4)(isn't malicious, even though Windows thinks it is), and Screen Coordinates Tool (http://www.breakthrusoftware.com/html/onlinedocs/kb/installkb/ScreenCoordTool.html)

1. Open ScreenCoordTool and see what the coordinates of your display are. Mine were 1920, 1080 (top left corner of display2 on my laptop). Make a note of what yours is.

2. Open WinSpy and drag the Finder Tool over the CameraRaw window.

1. Once the window in question is selected, go to the "General" tab and click the [...] button next to "Rectangle."
  2. Type (1920, 1080, or whatever your coordinates are) for the X and Y values in the window that pops up. 

This should reset the window's position to the top-left of the secondary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines