• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

camera raw

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Camera Raw not open up when a raw image is moved from LR to PS? I have LR Classic CC and PS CC (the most recent version). Whether or not I do any edits in LR Classic CC, if I move to PS from LR via the Photo>Edit in... option, it will not open in Camera Raw. Raw files do open in Camera Raw if I load into PS straight from the location on my external HD.

I also thought I read somewhere that if I right-click on an image already in PS, then I can click on Camera Raw from that option to open in Camera Raw but all I'm getting for options are the image name, link layer and isolate layer. Maybe the right click option only works when there is just a single raw file and no layers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

To be perfectly clear:

• The Lightroom Develop module has the Camera Raw engine built in.
  • When you "edit in" Photoshop, a background script reads the Lightroom settings and passes them on to ACR.
  • ACR then opens the file silently into Photoshop, using those settings.
  • The ACR interface doesn't open in this process. There's no need to - the settings are already defined in Lightroom.

Opening as smart object is a different process. This embeds a copy of the original raw file in the PSD document. This raw f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Camera Raw does not open when a raw image is moved from LR to PS.

I don't know why it doesn't, although I suspect the assumption is that you are performing Camera Raw functions in LR

To get to Camera Raw once you have opened an image in PS you add it as a filter Filter>Camera Raw Filter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The idea is that you do your adjustments in Lightroom and take the results into Photoshop. However there is a way to keep the ability to adjust the raw file further in Photoshop.

Use Lightrooms's  menu item Photo > Edit in >  "Open as smart object in Photoshop"

If you then double click on the smart object in the Photoshop layers panel it will open in camera raw.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a way to place a raw as linked so that changes in ACR are also reflected in Lr, but it's a very not-obvious workflow that should be core instead of hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be perfectly clear:

• The Lightroom Develop module has the Camera Raw engine built in.
  • When you "edit in" Photoshop, a background script reads the Lightroom settings and passes them on to ACR.
  • ACR then opens the file silently into Photoshop, using those settings.
  • The ACR interface doesn't open in this process. There's no need to - the settings are already defined in Lightroom.

Opening as smart object is a different process. This embeds a copy of the original raw file in the PSD document. This raw file copy can then be directly accessed from Photoshop by double clicking it, and it is then opened by ACR.

The ACR filter is a third variety - but this is fundamentally different in that it has no access to the raw data. This works on the rendered RGB data in Photoshop, where the raw adjustments have already been baked in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is critically important information as I am seeing people frequently talk about the filter as the same as Camera Raw, but they are not! :

The ACR filter is a third variety - but this is fundamentally different in that it has no access to the raw data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all of you who answered. Appreciate the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i asked for this feature years and years ago when Linked Smart Objects were first introduced, but Adobe has yet to implement what should be a basic workflow. Blows my mind that you have to use a workaround for this, but there's a good chance that the Lr team still isn't even aware of what a linked smart object is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines