Copied

can you recover an unsaved photoshop doc in creative cloud

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Here we have a whole thread of confusion because the marked "correct answer" was in fact incorrect. I unmarked it.

So again (as some here have tried to point out): Autorecovery is crash recovery. It is not user error recovery.

If the file has been closed without saving, it is deleted from the autorecovery folder. If Photoshop is closed down, the entire content of the autorecovery folder is deleted.

There is never any reason to find and open the autorecovery folder. There won't be anything

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This saved me so much time! I noticed a few different versions (2019, 2020, 2021) in the Adobe folder so I had to check three spots but it was in one of them! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ya,
Photoshop closed a file on me when I hadn't saved it in psd.  Long story short... I was working on an image, finished it, then changed image size to social media and saved it as a jpeg.... *usually I go back in, undo image size and do my thing... this time (recently upgraded) it just closed the file.

I have seen a way that I might be able to recover expect I don't have autorecover - any further ideas to what I can do pls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me out. I just completed a massive project. I thought Photoshop autosaved and after it crashed while trying to export I lost everything. Has anyone found any other fix? Thanks.Screenshot (120).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this but the folder is empty...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we have a whole thread of confusion because the marked "correct answer" was in fact incorrect. I unmarked it.

So again (as some here have tried to point out): Autorecovery is crash recovery. It is not user error recovery.

If the file has been closed without saving, it is deleted from the autorecovery folder. If Photoshop is closed down, the entire content of the autorecovery folder is deleted.

There is never any reason to find and open the autorecovery folder. There won't be anything there, unless Photoshop crashed. In that case, the files that were open before the crash will open automatically the next time Photoshop launches.

In other words - either it will open automatically, or it won't be there at all.

EDIT: just did something I have never done before: I marked my own answer as correct. Because it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...adobe, it's 2023 why does it feel like 2001 for me right now? How after 20 years you can't code a fail safe is beyond me. This is a bug, a 20 year bug that needs dev time. Code it so no matter what files are saved go in the bin, or trash can. How is that so hard? What are the blockers there? I just had to change my password in my email account associated my adobe account, due to a security breach. Photoshop goes into a quit sequeance. I thought oh just cancel out and I can continue working. I didn't know by changing my password in the email account it would trigger that event. nope... you can't cancel and anything not saved resides in pergatory hell along with Microsoft Clippy. A lot of work lost...save often should be a thing of a past, yet it still haunts me. That's a fail adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Code it so no matter what files are not saved go in the bin, or trash can. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if there is no files , i apologize from you , you can't recover them ,

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to recover a photo that you editted through the open button? For example, if you were to open a photo in photoshop, draw something on it, and accidentally clicked do not save when you closed it, would it appear in the Auto Recover file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. "Do not Save" means exactly that. What you did is properly exited the program.

Autorecover is for when Photoshop crashes, and did not give you a chance to save or not.

You may want to save a copy every 5/10/15 minutes to a backup folder or if on a Mac, use Time Machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been having a problem with my CS6 crashing and the files being lost/ corrupeted so I can't open them anymore. (dose not reconise file type as a valid photoshop docutment) I've tired saving the auto recovery folder but the folder is empty so it dosn't look like anything is being saved in it. I have the auto recovery to save every 10 mins and the box is checked it just dosen't look like anything is being saved.

Any help woudl be grately appreciated because I've almost 50 hours worth of work on a number of diffrent projects for almost two years now.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Same problem i had faced before please any help to get the files. I am also used auto recovery but still i am missing the file. once i completed the files after that i opened the folder the file i wored was gone. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ya,
Photoshop closed a file on me when I hadn't saved it in psd.  Long story short... I was working on an image, finished it, then changed image size to social media and saved it as a jpeg.... *usually I go back in, undo image size and do my thing... this time (recently upgraded) it just closed the file.

I have seen a way that I might be able to recover expect I don't have autorecover - any further ideas to what I can do pls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PS froze and i had to close down mid stack. I reopened it and it and finished the process but it opened as a recovered document and wouldn't save to LR, it saved on the cloud. How do I access the document on the cloud and can i import it into LR>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately crashed my Photoshop 2022 and try to to locate in autorecover folder, and found empty.

And i lose the efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a graphic design student at highschool and we pay for the license every school year. For the past 3 years I had all my work on photoshop cloud but this year something in the school sistem crashed and we all lost all files we ever had. I would like to know if there is a way that workers at adobe could restore my files as I will need them next year to apply to universities. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Neja326208605dmp a crash at school should not affect anything saved in the Adobe cloud. Check assets.adobe.com to see if your files are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if all instances of the AutoRecovery folder are empty? I have 3 folders for PhotoShop (2021, 2022, 2023) and when I open the folders they are empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if all instances of the AutoRecovery folder are empty?

By @chrisw79330335

If you have a crash, Photoshop will recover the file automatically on relaunch.

See the answer marked Correct from @D Fosse as well as this Help page for more information.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/file-recovery-photoshop.html

"Photoshop automatically stores crash recovery information at user-specified intervals. If you experience a crash, Photoshop recovers your work when you restart it."

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines