• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make a one line drawing in PS with a brush?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I want to make this in Photoshop (one line drawing).

https://youtu.be/LUqjKSn9mc8

But she uses Illustrator. Can I make something similar in photoshop and use the brush?

I know I can make it with the pen tool, but this seems so much easier.

Thanks!

Anne

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a path you created with the Pen tool, select the Brush and press Enter to stroke the path with the Brush.(or any painting tool - Eraser, Smudge, etc.). You can also do this via the Paths panel menu, and the hollow circle icon at the bottom of the paths panel will stroke with the last-used tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anne5CF5 

She just used the Brush tool to loosely trace the leaf. You can do the same thing in Photoshop with the Brush tool. Be sure to create and name new layers for the leaf, the tracing, and the blobs. Hide the leaf layer when finished.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youu can't really make a one pixel line with the brush because even a one pixel preset has some anti alias.  What you can use is the pencil.  The two lines below are zoomed in to 400%.  The upper line is one pixel fully hard black brush preset, and the lower line the same thing using the pencil.  ipso facto, I rest my case  😉

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can I make something similar in photoshop and use the brush?

I know I can make it with the pen tool, but this seems so much easier.

By @Anne5CF5

If the Pen tool is the problem, you have two options in Photoshop for doing this without the Pen tool.

You could use the Brush tool. But the problem is that in Photoshop, the Brush tool is pixels only, so if you need to edit the stroke, you have to erase and re-paint some pixels, which might make it look less natural.

You could use the Freeform Pen tool (see demo below). This might be a better solution, because it takes care of both problems. First, unlike the Pen tool, you drag the Freeform Pen tool normally like a brush, so it does not depend on being comfortable with the Pen tool. Second, it creates a vector shape layer instead of pixels, so you can quckly edit the resulting path as you would in Illustrator. To create a one line drawing with the Freeform Pen tool, make sure Fill is set to None.

Photoshop one line drawing.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines