Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I sell printables I create?

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am considering purchasing Adobe PS to create printable tags, cards, and marketing materials. However, I would like to know if I am able to sell the digital downloads that I create to customers who can print the product themselves. The downloads are uneditable. 
thank you!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jessica24892987o3ec, I see you don't have any replies yet, sorry about that! Your question isn't really about using Photoshop, it's more about commercial sales and use of the artwork you create with Photoshop. So, your post may be moved to another forum by a moderator.

Generally speaking, if you are the sole creator of these tags, cards, and marketing materials, and they are your original works that don't incorporate any third-party elements that have not been specifically licensed by you for resale (such as stock photos or graphics), then you can sell them since you are the content creator and copyright holder. For example, if you take a photograph that doesn't infringe upon any other work (i.e., no photos of property, artwork, trademarks, logos, or identifiable people without releases), you can sell your photo as a downloadable file for print. If you create original designs with shapes and text using fonts and tools that are provided by Photoshop and Adobe with your subscription, then your designs are fine to resell. That's what many of us do!

You may want to specify exactly what usage you are extending to the customer with their download. For example, they may print your images on any substrate for their own display or distribution, but they can't sell those products. They also can't resell your images for others to print or use. Unless this is being done for a client as work-for-hire, you should always be clear that you retain your copyright, and the artwork is offered only as a non-exclusive license. I am not a lawyer, so I suggest you consult one to be sure you have all the necessary clearances and usage language for your enterprise.

A final note: You say the downloads are "uneditable" but keep in mind that practically all image files can be altered in one way or another if they are in circulation, even if someone doesn't have your original file. It doesn't hurt to make it clear that customers are forbidden from altering your work in any way without your express permission. Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jain, that’s excellent thorough and succinct advice. You're right about "uneditable" - that’s far from possible to implement IMO.

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sell stuff, it must be 100% yours. Adobe doesn't own the artwork you create.  But there may be restrictions on fonts, icons or other graphics. Make sure you have proper licenses to use whatever you include in your artwork. If you're unsure, consult an attorney.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, the Adobe General Terms of Use say:

1.5 Ownership. You (as a Business or an individual, as applicable) retain all rights and ownership of your Content. We do not claim any ownership rights to your Content.

I am not a lawyer, but that probably means “we will not stop you from doing whatever you want with the stuff you make using our tools.”

Every day you probably see hundreds of images and videos made by companies large and small using the same Adobe tools, for commercial purposes as you want to, with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines