Can someone tell me if keywords are used outside of photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to understand their value.   Thanks in advance. 🙂

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sjr23464752 I'm not exactly clear on what your question is. Are you asking if keywords embedded into the metadata of an image using Photoshop can then be read in another program? The short answer is yes.

JainLemos_0-1648311762609.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used them and I am trying to understand their value (if any) on the internet. IE.  If I have a thumbnail on a video (on rumble) are those keywords helping in the search for that video?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe directly, however, some websites have software that harvests embedded metadata and uses it for display or filtering/searching.

Metadata is well supported by many image formats, however, video metadata support is rather limited depending on the format.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is definitely a value. Adding metadata to images and videos optimizes search results. Each platform extracts information differently, and methods are continually changing and expanding. Embed as much information as you can into all your published creative works. Search engines tap into both source metadata (file type, camera settings) and added metadata (keywords, copyright info) as they crawl to index. For more info on best practices, search online for “video SEO” and “video metadata.” I hope that's helpful!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IPTC-standard keywords, which Adobe photo applications use, are used widely, to help find photos in photojournalism, stock photography, science, and other fields. Keywords you enter in Photoshop, Adobe Bridge, and Lightroom can be read by other non-Adobe applications, can be found with the desktop search in macOS, iOS, and Windows devices, and on photo websites like Flickr that can show and search on IPTC metadata.

If you want to know more about how keywords and other metadata are used in the world, not just in Photoshop, you can read the IPTC Metadata User Guide .

The use is more limited in video, partly because the standard is not as widely implemented in video applications.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One way to benefit is to add keywords before uploading images to (some) stock sites. Imagine stock sites without keywords, probably it will be different experience. Not sure if Google is using embedded keywords because many people will immediately start abusing keywords as they did in the past with site and page keywords.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines