• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit in photoshop from lightroom CC classic

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Edit in Photoshop" operation in Lightroom Classic CC no longer works correctly with the most recent update.  It doesn't matter if I say "Edit in Photoshop" or "Open as a smart object".

Photoshop starts up successfully, and also loads my photo (.CR2 or .DNG, I've tried both).  However, once I'm there nothing works.  All the image editing menu items are grayed out, and I can't actually make any edits.  Other weird things:  if I zoom in, the Ctrl-0 keyboard shortcut no longer works either.  I'm sure there are other wierdnesses as well.

If I open the files directly from photoshop I get the camera raw pop up, and then everything works normally.  It only goes bad when I edit from Lightroom.

My Lightroom build is 1193777.  My Photoshop is 20.0.1.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem however, if I go to the Adobe folder and launch photoshop.exe first then select photoshop to edit from lightroom then everything works correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Martin.  At least that helps me workaround the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue running on two Windows machines since the last update.

I've not tried using a RAW file yet, but opening a JPEG, you have three options for editing in Photoshop:

• Edit with Lightroom Adjustments
  • Edit a Copy
  • Edit the original.

In my case, it works if I "Edit a Copy," or "Edit Original," but not "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments."

On both machines, Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are current, as is Windows 10.

The work-around to open Photoshop first seems to work on my Windows machines too. Thanks Martin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post in the Photoshop Family forum discusses the issue in detail.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link is broken...does not go to specific post. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KR Seals  pleas update the link it is broken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link that is "broken" is from 2018 and the closed 'Feedback' Forum that is no longer active.

Try the advice given by @TheDigitalDog  (in this thread)-

When the 'link' between Lightroom Classic and Photoshop has issues, one of the first things to try is this:
1. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and when asked, keep preferences.
2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic.

'Greyed out' menu items for 'Edit In Photoshop' may be caused by 'Missing' photos in the LrC Catalog, or a case of using Smart Previews without the original files available.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

The reason why it will not let you edit it in Photoshop from Lightroom is because you most likely are working with the preview and not the original photo,

Rightclick on the photo you are trying to edit in Photoshop, and click on "Show in Explorer". If it says that photo cannot be found...Point to the proper location of the photo, and it will load the original location in Lightroom.

Then you should be able to edit it in Photoshop...hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not accurate. I never work on previews so it's not likely at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what does the ... More supposed to do on a post? I get a white oval and that's it even with a prolonged hover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, your comment helped me very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it has helped. I had changed the name of the folder with the photos in Explorer and had to relocate it in LR !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FEDBACK: Please do not mark a thread as SOLVED if it doesn't have the answers easily available and in lay man's terms and not a nother thread to click into and get lost in a rabbit hole. Also, everyone using Lightroom isn't a hardcore techie.

SOLUTION that worked for me and might for some others too (I use the latest Windows OS on my laptop and my Adobe Apps are always up to date):

Check if the drive you are editing off of is currently being read or not.

If not, reconnect the drive and even if both LR and PS were already open, the menu options should now no longer be greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom stopped working for me BUT when I "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop" the image does open in Photoshop.
I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes same here.....it's annoying, I've tried all sorts to get it to work but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be more specific:

• What are the Photoshop/Lightroom version numbers (not "latest")?
  • Is the menu item grayed out/inaccessible, or is it there, just no response? Does ctrl+E work?
  • Do the files open in ACR, and from there into Photoshop on "open"?
  • Did this start out of the blue, or after an update? Sometimes, the script linking the two apps can break, usually after updating and deleting older versions (this can also break general file associations).

Sometimes, reinstalling Photoshop then Lightroom can fix the connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC 11.5 - ACR 14.5 - PS 23.5.1

Nothing is greyed out and CTL+E works as it should but no image appears in PS.

ACR to PS works on 'open'

I suspect it started after an update but cannot confirm that

the reinstalling process did not solve the issue.

The only way to open the image from LRC to PS is to open as a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.5.1 20220907.r.724 5600b96 x64

I can open an image from LR as Smart Object.

BUT when I try to Edit in PS it just sits there. Also it say that it will open in photoshop 2023. Could that be  is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.5.1 20220907.r.724 5600b96 x64

I can open an image from LR as Smart Object.

BUT when I try to Edit in PS it just sits there. Also it say that it will open in photoshop 2023. Could that be  is the issue.

By @graymom

When the 'link' between Lightroom Classic and Photoshop has issues, one of the first things to try is this:
1. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and when asked, keep preferences. 
2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic. 
Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution worked. I uninstalled PS & LR. Reinstalled PS first & LR second. The image opened from LR in PS for editing. Thank you so much thedigitaldog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem with LRC version 12.3 and newer.

LRC 12.1 and older open files in the most recent vesion of PS without problems,

LRC 12.1 and older does not have many features 12.3 and new has.  Adobe needs to fix this problem.  I am a ver busy professional photgrapher who constantly edits LRC images in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We apologize for the challenges you're having trouble sending files from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop for further editing. Please refer to the troubleshooting article below, which offers solutions to address the following problems: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-edit-in-errors.html?cgen=6JMR79DQ&mv=other

1. The "Edit In" command is grayed out.
  2. The "Edit In Photoshop" command is missing.
  3. The "Edit In" command fails to open photos in Photoshop.

We hope the suggested solutions in the article will assist in resolving the issue.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR-Classic 12.3 and higher I would have to select edit in Photoshop several times.  Several times PS would open and the file would not load. Finally after about 3 tries the file would open in PS.  The only solution I found was to uninstall ANY version of LR-Classic newer than 12.1.  12.1 and older work with all vesion of PS.  I am using the Strawberry Beta build for the Selective AI editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines