• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't export photos from Lightroom to Photoshop for editing anymore...

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of two days ago, I can no longer export photos from Lightroom to Photoshop for editing touchups. This seriously hampers my workflow, and it's never happened to me before in 10 years of constant work with both.

Step by step, here's where the problem occurs. When I choose to edit to Photoshop, PS boots up but does not open to the exported photo - rather it offers the following choices: Create New, or Open.  I can add in a few steps as a workaround, which means saving my Lightroom version as a tiff or jpg, then opening it in PS to do touch ups - BUT exporting finished photos from Lightroom has always been my preferred method. For some reason, the simple step I've always used has seemingly disappeared. What might I be missing here?

I'm using the latest CC versions of both and running the most current Mojave.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Jean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

It looks like the issue is occurring for those using NAS or other server storage for their images.  Other threads I've now found indicate some have had the issue for 2 weeks and Adobe have replicated it and 'are working on it' for a fortnight but no more has been heard since.

If like me you can't afford to wait any longer to get back to work and the manual opening workaround in place of the integration isn't feasible I have replaced Camera Raw 11.2 with an older version (v11.0 was what I managed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was really hoping there was an answer here.  I did my updates on both Lightroom and Photoshop Classic yesterday and today have a load of processing to do but "edit with Photoshop Classic 2019" now opens Photoshop but not the image.  The issue is exactly the same as Jean is describing above.

I've also used Photoshop for well over a decade and this has never been an issue before for me, it was working fine yesterday before I did the updates.  Also running on a Mac and Mojave, all with latest updates.  Have done all the obvious stuff and closed everything down, rebooted etc.  It's unlike previous issues where it used to NOT open Photoshop and gave an error message.  There is no error message, it gets through half the process so clearly knows the right version of Photoshop to open this time.

I can use the workaround Jean has mentioned above but it is costing me a lot of time and the integration of the two tools is where their strength is.  Ironically I can select to edit in something unrelated like Topaz Studio and it's integrated so need for a manual workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES!!! It opens Photoshop but not the images! Hope they figure this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue this morning! I saw on another board to reinstall Photoshop but I would like to have a second advice before touching my installations. Like you, I've been using Lightroom and Photoshop for decade. First time I have this kind of problem with those 2 softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which exact version of Photoshop and Lightrool ("latest" does not really tell us much as sometimes folk miss an update).

When this occured a few versions ago (and was later fixed)  - it could be worked around by opening Photoshop first then, leaving Photoshop open, opening Lightroom. Edit in then worked. Does that work for you?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a mac with all the latest version (I think) LightRoom Classic CC 8.2 (version 1204643), Camera Raw 11.2, Photoshop 20.0.3

And I just discovered that I can't open RAW file anymore also!!!! It just said file doesn't exist.

I closed Photoshop while reseting all the default parameters and didn't change anything. I've also unchecked the use graphic card in Photoshop.

It's really weird this problem this morning.

Thanks for trying to help us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

patrickl32183333  wrote

And I just discovered that I can't open RAW file anymore also!!!! It just said file doesn't exist.

Hi

See this thread, I wonder if this camera raw issue is related to the above as well

Photoshop cant find NEF files on local NAS drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ged. Yes, my problem with RAW file is the one described if the link you posted. So the problem is with the fact that my photos are on my NAS. Wondering if my two problems are all related? I've benn using those two software for years and never had any issues and now two at the same time. Anyway, thanks for the tip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was written that way as I mentioned it occured when I went to check for updates and implemented them yesterday.  There are no more updates available during troubleshooting with it today. LR is 8.2, Camera Raw is 11.2, Photoshop CC is 20.0.3 according to the about info.

I have checked for similar issues in the past.  The previous problem is not the same, the errors describe it not being able to find or open the right version of Photoshop and that isn't happening here but yes, I did still try that fix.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work this time.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using those same versions on Windows 10 without any issues. I wonder if it is a Mac issue.

You could raise it here where it will be seen by the developers:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, I was starting to wonder about that as the three of us in the thread with the issue are all Mac users but wasn't sure if that was relevant, it is useful to know that Windows is working OK with the equivalent versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I am having this issue as of last night when I did the latest update from Above site and I'm working on Windows 11. 😫

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Well, at least there's a bit of comfort knowing I'm not alone. As far as detailing the exact versions of each program, I would assume that, ponying up hundreds of bucks a year for my full subscription to Adobe CC, I have to trust the always-refreshing Adobe update center when it tells me that I have no updates available - and that includes the latest version of Camera Raw. (As with, I'm sure, many others, I have adjusted my auto-update settings to actively notify me whenever a software or system update is available; so "latest" actually means "latest" in this case.)

Usually it takes a couple of days of squawking in the forums until an Adobe rep shows up and attempts to assuage.

At this point, like 2AussieTravellers, I'm spending extra time on the workaround, and I much prefer working with NEF files in PS, then saving them back to Lightroom before exporting the finished product.

And, yes, my guess also is that this is a Mac problem.

So, c'mon, Adobe, please address this issue sooner rather than later.

--Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I and the others in this thread do not work for Adobe. To get the Adobe developers to see the issue you will need to raise it in the forum I linked in the earlier post.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Davescm,

Yep. Been there, done that. The solutions offered there are in the nature of reinstall everything, go back to an older camera raw (which is, of course, nearly impossible even to track down), and turn LR and PS on and off in certain magical sequences. None of which actually a guarantee of solving this problem. As always, its left to the end user to wander down blind alleys and waste many hours following useless suggestions, while paying through the nose for the privilege.

But as far as squawking goes, it never hurts to broadcast one's immense unhappiness at the extra work caused by workarounds in every forum possible. In my previous experience in these forums, Adobe monitors and as often as not responds, when the wheels squeak.

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added this to the thread suggested above for support from Adobe.  This is the link if anyone wants to "me too" it and see if we can get an official answer. Selecting 'edit in Photoshop' from Lightroom Classic not working | Photoshop Family Customer Communi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I'm a Mac user that shoots with .NEF. I'm going to run all my updaters and see if this problem happens to me too. See if I can recreate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello... juste in case... the problem has nothing to do with RAW (or .NEF) file but the fact that those files are located on a NAS server. I'm able to opening a RAW file that is located on my Mac but not if this same file is on my NAS server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the issue is occurring for those using NAS or other server storage for their images.  Other threads I've now found indicate some have had the issue for 2 weeks and Adobe have replicated it and 'are working on it' for a fortnight but no more has been heard since.

If like me you can't afford to wait any longer to get back to work and the manual opening workaround in place of the integration isn't feasible I have replaced Camera Raw 11.2 with an older version (v11.0 was what I managed to get my hands on) and that issue is resolved so I can get back to work.  No idea yet if that will introduce any other conflicts but so far so good.

Thanks all for your support - will now wait for the fix release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot do this either.

I have preset that after running opens the file in Photoshop.

Photoshop opens but doesn't open the file.

1 month plus +

Can't be a hard bug to patch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! Also working with Mac/NAS!

Strange that so many people have te same issue and that I still cannot find a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings to all who've been suffering this same problem. The solution, albeit temporary, is indicated by 2AussieTravellers above. It's not intuitive - but pretty simple and solves the whole deal.

Just replace your CameraRaw with an earlier version, overwriting the current CameraRaw, and you'll find things return to normal.

Best,

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have a help page advising just that :

Cannot open raw files from a network drive

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to set the camera raw to previous version? I'm having the same problem, can't bring the photos from LR to PS for editing. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here and I cant figure out why! I've been exporting and dragging into PS to open, which WORKS but is a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines