Exit

Can't find Legacy Gradients [PS 21.2.1]

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the Legacy Gradients.  I'm using:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.1 20200716.r.265 2020/07/16: 2b9692040b x64

I see guidance on this site to use a drop down menu in the Gradient Editor and search for either a Special Effects folder or the Legacy Gradients folder.  I can't see either folder.  In fact, I can't see the little bars icon that bring up the drop down menu.  I do have a settings icon that does brings up the menu in this post.  Help!  Thx.

PS Menu.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Look for the new Gradients panel within the Window menu. The Gradient panel itself contains many folders including a Legacy Gradients folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

You can do this directly within Photoshop. In 2020's new Gradient panel (Window > Gradient), you can go into the menu at the top right and choose Legacy Gradients. The key is going this through the full Gradient panel, not the Gradient pop-up in the Options bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for the new Gradients panel within the Window menu. The Gradient panel itself contains many folders including a Legacy Gradients folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I found it in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Required.  Honestly that's annoying difficult.  There are many, many possible folders and locations the file could be hiding in, and I ended up having to use the file search function to find it.  Should it be that hard?  At any rate, many thanks for enabling me to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. I didn't understand that's what you were looking for. Happy you found it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'd have never found it without your assist!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this directly within Photoshop. In 2020's new Gradient panel (Window > Gradient), you can go into the menu at the top right and choose Legacy Gradients. The key is going this through the full Gradient panel, not the Gradient pop-up in the Options bar.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just seeing this now.  OMG, Windows>Gradient was SO much easier than what I did.  Thank you again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dan,

Thank you for the guidance! Very helpful and resolved my issue too! 

Good luck!

Ali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dan,

Just me again and this time to apologize for writing your name with lower-case letter in my last reply below, It was a typographical mistake and after posting my reply I noticed it and couldn't find any option or tool to correct it. I deeply apologize! 

Best Regards,

Ali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find anything, and I can't follow the instructions.  New to 21.2.2 release from CS6.  I don't know what Window > Gradient is even!  I have done what someone suggested:   C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Required, but when I do that, and click the v by the rectangular box in the Gradient Map layer, the legacy folder shows up, but is empty.  Sorry, feeling stupid here, even though I was pretty good with the old CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop contains numerous menus such as File and Filter. Window is one such menu item and clicking on the Gradients option within it will open up the Gradients panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I ever feel so STUPID!!!!!  What was I thinking this morning, not seeing the Window command???  I am sooooooooooo embarrassed!!!!  I am computer literate!  Really!!!  

Thank you for this help!  Everything is working perfectly now!!!!!  You are THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!!!!  Thank you so much for taking the time to show the screenshots!  EASY to follow!  You are the best teacher!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I may ask, why can't I find the Gradient panel option under the Window tab....trying to find the Legacy Gradients.

I'm using photoshop 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, here's some screenshots of each step.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This was NOT obvious! I would never have thought to click the little tiny menu icon. It should be built in!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this - I loaded the gradients window, and selected legacy gradients from near the bottom of the hamburger menu - but nothing changed.  Do you have any other ideas.... Oh but I'm using 24.6.0 

Maybe this is a whole new gradients problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jeremyp1470049 if you scroll down you should see the legacy gradients, screenshot is from 24.6

2023-07-06 16_49_10-Untitled-1 @ 37.6% (RGB_8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

but nothing changed.  

By @jeremyp1470049

When you select the Gradient tool, do the Legacy gradients now show up as a choice in the options bar?

If it doesn't, I wonder if you need to change the mode from Gradient to Classic Gradient to work the old way?

janee_0-1688666162119.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines