Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move the object after using pen tool

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

After using the pen tools (separate layer) to trace the image, I could not able to move the tracing lines that I had drawn. I've tried to unlock all the layers to find to way to move it but nothing in the result. Could anyone help me with this issue? . Thank you so much. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

@Chloe H. Pham 

You didn't say which tool you are using. Are you using the Path Selection tool (black arrow) and not the Move tool?
(Keyboard Shortcut: "A")

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we'd need to see a complete screenshot showing the toolbar, menu bar, tools, and layers etc in the same shot. I assume the drawn lines are on the same layer, but do you maybe have something inadvertenty selected (I do that all the time)?  If so, then everything else is locked. To make sure, go Select>Deselect and see if it helps. If not, post a complete screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chloe H. Pham 

You didn't say which tool you are using. Are you using the Path Selection tool (black arrow) and not the Move tool?
(Keyboard Shortcut: "A")

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Thank you for your quick replying.  I've tried to use the pen tool for drawing the traced image on the new layer ( layer 1) and locked the BG player (named as "1") and tried to select the fame after using the pen tool but it didn't work.

I screenshotted 2 screenshots for you to have a look at here. The first one is demonstrating my process of using the pen tool to trace the image and the second one is the fame after tracing it in the new layer ( layer 1) but I couldn't move it. Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the selection tool not the move tool to move the path. The selection tool is the arrow right below the text tool in your screen capture.

A path is found in the paths panel. It is not a layer. It is not attached to the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see I got it. Thank you so so much. Do you have any idea to make the path attaches to the layer?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paths are completely independent of layers. However if you convert a path to a vector mask it will be attached to the layer. It's not clear what you are trying to do though, so this may not answer your question.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/masking-layers-vector-masks.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chloe H. Pham wrote: 

Thank you for your quick replying.

You're welcome, Chloe, but you did not answer my question!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane, I got it now. I was using the move tool instead that why I couldn't move the path I had created. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have to see a complete screenshot, not just pieces. Like this:

ADOBE-SCREENSHOT.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines