Can't open large tiff files

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have relatively large bitmap tiff files I need to open. Typically they are 42" x 96" but only 2Mb or less in size. These open OK. I have larger files that are 42" x 136" and these will not open. Again, they are not large, only 2.2Mb. I get a message that says: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements does not recognize this type of file." Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An image file has only one real size measurement: how many pixels.

Physical print size is determined by whatever ppi number is assigned.

File size on disk is determined by any compression algorithm applied, given a certain pixel size, number of layers and bit depth.

That said, it sounds like the TIFF in question is either corrupted or not correctly written to TIFF specification. The storage size limit for TIFF is 4 GB.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the tiff file is not above the 4gb limit, then it's most likely the fact that photoshop elements only supports files of any file type to a max size (pixel dimensions) of 30,000 px on the long side and your 42" x 136" file is closer to 40,000 pixels, which is too big for photoshop elements.

This is a built in limitation of photoshop elements, since photoshop cc, which uses the same base code, supports larger than 30,000 px tiffs

The Preview application on your mac should be able to open those bigger tiff files.

(Applications/Preview) or there might be a Preview shortcut in the Dock.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines