• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open MOV file in Photoshop CC 20.0.5 Mac

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open an mov file for editing. I have tried multiple different files using both File/Open and Add Media from the Timeline. In all cases the program grinds for a long time and then comes back with  "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Thank you for the video. It's HEVC, which is not supported by Adobe CC yet, I think. If I export it to MOV from QuickTime (with HEVC option unchecked), it will create H.264 MOV. Then encode this to H.264 MP4 from Adobe Media Encoder. The resultant MP4 will open in Photoshop. I know this is not elegant at all and you don't want doing it. Hope someone knows a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

For Iphone 

1. go in iphone, go to Settings > Camera
  2. Tap Formats and change from “high efficiency” to “Most compatible”

also in Iphone xr Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC option change from

“keep original” to “automatic "to mac settings in Iphone XR from “original” to “automatic” and

transfers the old videos to Desktop again, this should convert them as well,

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Hello, I have the same issue. The solution is to open the Intel version for photoshop. 

default220087353y1esi_0-1638270042801.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Hello, prior to the 23.4 update, (update if you are on an M1 mac), one had to run Photoshop in  Rosetta mode to process videos: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Now with Ps23.4, the feature is built in the native version: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022-3.html#other-enhancements

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is for images mate a Mov file is video, owned by Apple and aimed at older software like Flash

you will need a codex to play the file in any media playing software and assuming you have a codex installed i.e, it plays then you could use Adobe Premiere to edit it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop edits video and has for at leat 7 years Mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How else do you think you make easy gifs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is a Mov file container 'aimed at older software like Flash' mate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the video clip?

I made a short (7sec) .MOV file and I was able to open it in Ps via File>Open

When I've tried to work with large clips, I've ran into issues. Longer clips would work better in Adobe Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file I want to edit is quite large - 70 GB. But I have tried tiny ones of only a few seconds and 200 MB. I have used PS successfully in the past to edit mov files, but since the most recent upgrades, can no longer get it to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should mention that I have also tried mp4 files, with no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried and I can open 4GB MOV instantly, but 70GB sounds a bit excessive. Can you create a smaller MOV (using QuickTime Player if you have no video editing software) and try again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned, I've tried, 200 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB mov files. None will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open your MP4/MOV in other software like video player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course, they work fine in Quicktime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me a MOV file you can't open by any chance? (A small one )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a download link to a file (300 MB) DSCF8041.MOV - Google Drive

At this point Lightroom is also broken and won't import any video files. It seems that people have been complaining about this problem for many years.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the video. It's HEVC, which is not supported by Adobe CC yet, I think. If I export it to MOV from QuickTime (with HEVC option unchecked), it will create H.264 MOV. Then encode this to H.264 MP4 from Adobe Media Encoder. The resultant MP4 will open in Photoshop. I know this is not elegant at all and you don't want doing it. Hope someone knows a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Kenneth Kawamoto  thanks for your suggestion! I've also tried this and it doesn't work. I0m using the latest Photoshop version on a M1 Mac 😞

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 14.52.14.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-06 at 14.52.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you DM me your MOV file (you can chop it in QuickTime to make it smaller)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kenneth Kawamoto 

Hi I seem to have encourtered this same issues as @Gisele0D44 in terms of trying to open an image sequence (.jpeg, .psd), I have treid to drop a .mov, .mp4 with that same window popping up. I can not send you an example of the content I am trying to convert over to a GIF but I would assume its a similar issue.

Side note I am also expeierencing that exporting to Media encoder from an AF project is not loading up the instance of the project I am trying to export.

I am running Monterey on the new Apple M1 Pro  

Thanks

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same issue. The solution is to open the Intel version for photoshop. 

default220087353y1esi_0-1638270042801.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesssss! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Adobe Media Encoder, it will solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, prior to the 23.4 update, (update if you are on an M1 mac), one had to run Photoshop in  Rosetta mode to process videos: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Now with Ps23.4, the feature is built in the native version: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022-3.html#other-enhancements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem. Via System Preferences > Security & privacy > Files & folders I allowed Photoshop access to my iCloud folder ”Documents” and after that everything worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!!! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too! Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines