Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't print in colour

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm trying to print a colour jpeg image through my HP Deskjet 2630 printer... 

Through Photoshop print window it defaults to a B&W Generic Gray printer profile. Very frustrating. See image example. There doesn't seem to be anywhere in printer settings to manage the printer's colour set up. 

Any help would be awesome.Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 11.46.23.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

This is not how I would print (see below for "Photoshop Manages Color") but FYI, our HP 8750 does include colour controls but only if you:

1: select "printer manages color" in Photoshop

and next in print settings 

2: select "vendor matching" 

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 15.51.49.jpg

"vendor matching" means that the HP driver software manages colour [not the operating system]

you'll see that my mac driver also offers ColorSync as an option [above].

When that’s selected, the expanded color section [see below] basically tells me that HP

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, a few questions, is this the first time you have used this printer, or is this a new behavoir since you added/changed anything? What version of Photoshop are you using, do other images print in color and just not this one?  If you can share more info on the steps you are taking before you are seeing this issue it will help the team on the forum get to the root cause of this issue.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cory, thanks for your response. Any image only prints in greyscale. Using latest version of photoshop too.

In terms of steps, literally go to print use default print settings. All draft or B&W settings are off, that's pretty much it. Also I have updated the HP print drivers as well. In print settings there doesn't seem to be any colour attributes to turn on or off.   

Thanks Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That B&W profile is not being used at all. The printer profile in that dialogue only comes into use if you choose Photoshop Manages Colors in the box above it, at which point you can change it.

Whilst you have "Printer manages colours" set, the printer driver is managing the color and all settings are accessed via "Print settings" at the top of the page.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, thanks for your response. I agree the print driver mangaes the colours, however through the print settings in photoshop or any other application for that matter, i get the same outcome. Just prints greyscale. I've updated the HP drivers too. If you click on print settings they're is no colour settings, just draft or B&W to change... am I right in thinking this?

Cheers Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some printers have a black and white colour setting in the print driver.

Some printers have a front panel option.

Some printers automatically switch to black and white if a colour ink runs out.

Since it is happening with all apps, there is no use trying to solve it inside Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can I presume that your image is RGB as the doc space appears to be sRGB?

Ideally it would be flattened (no layers)

Why not try a test with another image? this test image would make a good test:- https://www.colourmanagement.net/downloads/CMnet_Pixl_AdobeRGB_testimage05.zip
Try setting the print dialog to "Photoshop manages Color" and choose a colour profile for the printer / paper

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HP printers can make a test from the front panel I think - so why not do the HP test print from the printer panel and see if it actually CAN print colour? 

I hope this helps
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not how I would print (see below for "Photoshop Manages Color") but FYI, our HP 8750 does include colour controls but only if you:

1: select "printer manages color" in Photoshop

and next in print settings 

2: select "vendor matching" 

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 15.51.49.jpg

"vendor matching" means that the HP driver software manages colour [not the operating system]

you'll see that my mac driver also offers ColorSync as an option [above].

When that’s selected, the expanded color section [see below] basically tells me that HP cannot control the colour. 

Next, still in print settings /  "paper type/quality"

3: click to expand color options and you'll see a greyscale option, make sure one of the color options is selected. 

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 15.51.35.jpg

honestly its because of such options hidden in different places in different print drivers that "Photoshop Manages Color" works best.

I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil this had been super helpful. 

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! if you plorblem is solved, please check the correct answers that helped you, so that other users will find the solution faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines