• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save a previously created psd file to jpg -- Need Help

Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help.  I'm a long time Photoshop user with a focus on photo editing.  For several months I've been doing a lot of work starting generally with .nef files, editing those files with adjustment layers and saving the files as a .psd.  After that I "Flatten" the layers, reduce the image size and save it a second time, this time as a .jpg.  All has gone without a hitch until now.  For the last couple of days I've been working with an old psd file created on 12/18/2010. This file has 11 layers total with 7 image layers and 4 adjustment layers.  The image is 5320 x 3540 pixels.  For some reason that I can't figure out, when I flatten the layers, reduce the image size, and try to do a "Save As" I'm not getting the .jpg file format option.  What I do get for options are the following:  Photoshop, Large Document Format, Cineon, IFF Format, JPEG 2000, Photoshop PDF, Portable Bit Map, and TIFF.  I tried saving the file as a TIFF then opening the TIFF and trying to do a Save As to a .jpg, but .jpg was not presented as an option.  I'm using Photoshop 24.1 with the latest update (1/18/2023) installed.  I can save other more recently created .psd files to the .jpg format so the problem isn't with today's update.  I'm running on Windows 10 with all OS updates installed.  All that I can figure is that there's something in the old .psd file that's no longer compatible with Photoshop 24.1, I just have no idea where to look.  Help will be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

@Bill Junk 

You can only use Save As to save to JPEG if the image is support by JPEG. This was caused by a change in Apple's API and fixed by Adobe two years ago in 22.4.2.

You have two choices:

• Use Save a Copy (not Save As)
  • or revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:
    • Enable Legacy Save As
    • Do not append Copy to filename

Is the troublesome image 8-, 16-, or 32-bit? What is the color mode? If there is anything JPEG does not support, you need

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bill Junk 

You can only use Save As to save to JPEG if the image is support by JPEG. This was caused by a change in Apple's API and fixed by Adobe two years ago in 22.4.2.

You have two choices:

• Use Save a Copy (not Save As)
  • or revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:
    • Enable Legacy Save As
    • Do not append Copy to filename

Is the troublesome image 8-, 16-, or 32-bit? What is the color mode? If there is anything JPEG does not support, you need to use Save a Copy.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Thank you so much for giving me a solution.  I elected the second option to enable legacy Save As capabilities.  What's still a mystery to me is why this one file could not be saved as a .jpg while other more recently created .psd files could be saved as .jpg files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bill Junk wrote:

What's still a mystery to me is why this one file could not be saved as a .jpg while other more recently created .psd files could be saved as .jpg files.

You're welcome, Bill. There is one thing in this file that jpeg does not support, or jpeg would be showing in Save As. For instance, jpegs only support RGB or CMYK, 8-bit, and a maximum width and height of 65,535 pixels.

The image also has to be flattened (background layer), but you said you did that.

You could look for it, but if it were me I would move on to Plan B! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, 

I'm in the same boat.  Just posted a new thread that appears to be the same behavior.  I've attached the files that have not worked for me and my problem started today - 10/18/2023.  I've seen the answer below but it doesn't explain why a file that appears to have all the required characteristics of being able to save as jpeg is not being allowed to save as jpeg.  Ticking the Enable Legacy Save As works around it but that hasn't sufficiently explained why a file that should be saveable as jpg is not allowed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@treyn10601976 

I'm glad you found out so quickly that the reason for your image was an alpha channel 😊

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/saving-a-flattened-8bit-file-as-jpg-n...

Thank you for attaching your file so the issue could be spotted!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines