• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Save Brushset Error: "The file Is locked, you do not have the necessary access permissions"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Support Community!

As far as I know, this issue started yesterday.  I have in the past saved/edited Photoshop brushsets with no issue by navigating to the Preset Manager, & saving the brushset file to the Brushes folder under Presets.  Now when I try to do that, I receive the error below:

QueenofDragons_0-1668930479279.png

I have searched this error on these forums, & previous advice simply says to make sure that the file is not Read Only.  I have done this, & I'm still getting the error.  I don't know what else to do, & no other guides online have been remotely helpful.  I hope that this forum can help me.

Specs:

Device name LongMarch
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
Device ID 6257A951-02EC-42BB-8032-A0AB419A1A27
Product ID 00326-00889-11108-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎8/‎16/‎2022
OS build 19044.2251
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Photoshop Specs:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x32

Full Specs Attached As Notepad File

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

If the are listed in the brushes panel, their location is irrelevant.

the brush set maybe became corrupted, or the panel preferences? Did you try creating a new brush set?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, your computer is recent enough for you to use Photoshop 23, rather than a 10 years old version...

Which Brushset causes the issue?

What happens when you double-click on the ABR in Windows Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is expensive, but I thought I did have the most recent version.  I built a new computer, & I planned to install CS3 Extended from a disk I legally bought in college with a discount.  It didn't function, so I contacted Adobe, & they compensated me with a license for a newer version, which does/did work up until this issue.

The brushset that I discovered this issue on is a custom set that I made.

When I double-click it in the File Explorer, it opens Photoshop & appends the brushset to the brush list.  If that brushset is already loaded, it effectively duplicates it.

Here's a screenshot of the error; I just replicated it again:

QueenofDragons_0-1669563838252.png

When I try to create a new brushset, I get another, different error:

QueenofDragons_1-1669564046243.png

It seems like I don't have Admin access to anything in the Adobe folders, if that makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is it possible that you appended too many brushes, and that you reached a limit?

Did you try saving fewer brushes to another folder?

You can select where you save the brushes, and you should have admin power on your own computer. It is possible that the folder would be hidden, you can change that with windows explorer. (usually it is the App data that his hidden, in side your users folder. Go to View in Explorer and check "Hidden Items" (check also "File Name Extensions", to that you can see if you look at a JPEG or a PNG for instance.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I don't think I've appended too many brushes; I used to have an issue on my old computer with it lagging because I had all my brushsets appended in the brush-picker...but I have since curbed that bad habit, & only have the brushes I need for a piece in the brush-picker.

I have made visible all my hidden folders, & I do have Admin privileges, I think, so that's not likely the issue.  Like I said, this problem started spontaneously, & before that I was able to save over my brushsets just fine.

If I saved my brushes to a folder outside of Photoshop's default media folders, how would the program be able to recognize them when I go to to append them?  Can you append brushes from external folders that aren't nested under the Presets folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the are listed in the brushes panel, their location is irrelevant.

the brush set maybe became corrupted, or the panel preferences? Did you try creating a new brush set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that may have worked!  When I try to save them to the Presets folder, it tells me I don't have access, but saving them to my Photoshop Brushes folder works just fine.  Plus I can save over them to add more brushes to a set.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines