• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can we no longer save a Photoshop document as a template?

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I have researched this and seen all kinds of answers, but nothing seems to work. In the old days you could save a Photoshop file as a template. This prevented you from opening the document again, making changes, accidentally pressing command S and overwriting the original template (pressing command S always forced you to do a save as and rename the document ).

I'm on a new iMac, using Photoshop 2022, but have noticed this issue in Photoshop versions during the last few years. Per other discussions I changed the extension in the finder by adding a "T" to PSD, but it always reverts back to PSD, and pressing command S saves the document. 

Is the "save as a template" option a bygone feature of old Photoshop versions?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still works in Windows. The document saves as xxxxx.psdt. On opening and editing Ctrl+S opens Save As dialogue.

I can't test on a Mac here though so will tag @jane-e who I know uses Macs

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave.

Of course, I just remembered you can save the document size as a "preset" on the welcome window. But it's not the same thing if you want guides or maybe a background image set as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree a preset is not as versatile. Let's hope Jane or another Mac user can test and confirm whether psdt is available to them

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I opened a jpeg and saved it as a psd, and added t to the end as usual.

janee_0-1649526138683.png

It became .psdt.psd

janee_1-1649526196492.png

I renamed it in Finder and removed the second extension.

janee_2-1649526260200.png

And now it works as a template like it's supposed to.

janee_3-1649526320575.png

Here's what I have in File Handling. I'll experiment and come back.

janee_4-1649526408334.png

@David 66  Do you have File Extensions showing?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a bug adding the extra file extension on the Mac Jane (thanks for checking)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happens when I enable Legacy Save As

janee_5-1649527256203.png

The file becomes psdt.psd and only works as a template when the .psd is removed.

janee_6-1649527320024.png

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

macOS Big Sur

Version 11.6.1

Photoshop 23.2.2

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, everyone! @jane-e , so guess what? When I tried changing the extension in the Finder it was the same as previously, just added the letters and renamed as xxxx.psdt.psd. But when I did the same thing in Bridge, it did work successfully! Check out the warning window it gave me in Bridge. It did no such warning in the Finder.

I opened the file and sure enough it default named in the banner as Untitled, forcing me to save and rename. Exactly what I wanted, thank you for all of the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David 66 wrote:

renamed as xxxx.psdt.psd.

I forgot to say that when I removed the .psd in Finder I got the exact same message you did about changing the file extension and blew past it because I knew .psdt was correct.

It's definitely a bug in Photoshop for macOS. This is only a work-around.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing Jane. Although there is a workaround, I'll move this thread to Bug Reports

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm seeing the behavior that Jane is seeing, having a .psdt.psd double extension, in some prior versions of the app (2019). The current version of Photoshop, 23.2.2, the file saved correctly with just the .psdt extension.

If I change the extension in the macOS finder to .psdt - and accept the changes when the OS warns about changing the extensions, it opens correctly as an untitled document.

I do have file extensions and show warning for changing extension shown in the finder enabled:

JeffreyTranberry_0-1649604657585.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines