Can you recover auto-saved files that were lost after crash?

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was working on a file when my computer crashed. I have auto save on and set to save every 5 minutes. I was working on this file for about 5 hours today before the crash. After the crash, the file did not pull up automatically with the other recovered files on restart and now all of today's saves are just gone from the file. It's back to the progress it had when I stopped yesterday. I've checked the auto recover folder and it's not there. I'm really stressed, is there any way to recover?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Celestial5CE5, I'm sorry to see you don't have any replies yet. Were you able to recover your files? Unfortunately, if you open Photoshop after a crash or unexpected shut down, and close it again, the files are removed from the AutoRecover folder. There is that one chance to recover files when you first relaunch after a crash, but if you missed that or the prompt wasn't there, then there isn't anything you can do now. It's probably a good idea to save often and make backup copies in different folders and directories, especially when working on one image for that long. Wish it was better news.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for responding!
Unfortunately, I was not able to recover the file I needed. Several files were recovered except the big one that probably caused the crash. Do you know if there is an option to enable auto save that saves to the actual document and not just a recovery file? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, and I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get your file back. There isn't any other option within Photoshop to auto save a complete file copy that I'm aware of. There may be some third-party scripts or software that can do it. Try a search for “Photoshop auto create backup scripts” or similar to see what might work!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

I just wanted to add my comment to Jain's good advice. I agree that probably the best way to make sure this doesn't happen again is to save your file manually and often--just as a habit, I usually do it after completing a section of what I am working on. I learned the hard way--I worked on a file for over two hours and didn't save once, and lost everything. As you know, it is no fun! Then when you are done with the file for the day, save it to a backup drive or in a different directory so you have something to fall back on in case of a problem. 

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines