• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you switch from 16 bit to 8 bit without losing quality?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on a project and I'm hoping to achieve the best results possible when printing. Following various guidelines I found online I started scanning at 16 bit per channel to get a higher color grading, however it is most likely I would only be able to print in 8 bit per channel.

If I open a 16 bit file in photoshop and change it 8 bit to match the printer would I loose any quality? I can't see the difference myself but I wonder if that's the case.

if I have files at 16 bit should I re-scan them accordingly or can I just change it in Photoshop without worrying about quality loss?

Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep the 16 bit master file in case you need to carry out further editing.

However for printing, most print drivers will use 8 bit and a few use a full 16 bit driver. The reality is though that you are unlikely to see a visible difference on paper using either driver.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a 16bpc file and you’re sending it out to be printed, you follow the file specifications the printing service requires. So if they require an 8bpc JPEG file, you convert it to that.

If you’re printing directly, you don’t have to convert the file for printing, because Photoshop can do it on the fly for you. If the printer driver is one of the few that can receive 16bpc files directly, then in the Print dialog box in Photoshop, the Send 16-Bit Data option will be available and you can select it. However, you should know that many printing experts say it’s hard to see if Send 16-Bit Data makes any visible difference, maybe in part because of the limited dynamic range of print. So I leave it disabled.

Photoshop-Print-16-bit-color-disabled.jpg

If the printer driver can’t handle 16 bits per channel files directly, or if the file is not 16bpc, then the Send 16-Bit Data option will be disabled, and the file will always be sent at 8bpc.

Selecting Send 16-Bit Data sends more data, so it may take longer to print, and may require more free storage space for the temporary spool file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://linktaigo88.club/  thank you click Print?

https://linktaigo88.club/category/download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it may not be obvious or easy to explain, but there can be strong reasons to scan at 16 bit and do all your corrections at 16 bit even if the final result is 8 bit. You keep more accuracy as you change and enhance the picture, reducing the chance of "banding", and save 16 bit for future use. Only then convert to an 8 bit version if you need to, keeping both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for the advise. I'm halway through the project scanning in 48bit and all going well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it may say it's 48-bit it might not be. Our scanner (Silverlight) has one place to select from 1 bit up to 48 bit (output) and somewhere else to select 8 bit or 16 bit (display). The latter is the one that actually seems to make a difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, SilverFast not Silverlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit depth can be reported per channel, or total. 48 bit is actually 16 bit x3 = 48.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good

https://linktaigo88.club/category/download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fine to print 8-bit files,

Where a 16-bit per channel file has a significant advantage is in it's ability to be edited without losing the ability to define gradations. 

[Use a Tiff or PSD, avoid Jpeg here due to compression]

Once editing is done I'd archive the 16-bit Tiff or PSD layered file and save out a copy,  then flatten for print. 

Be sure to resize correctly for printed size, and then sharpen. Sharpening is size dependent. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great advise! Thank you. I only just learned that sharpening is size dependant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is it fine to send 8-bits per color to a printer, but a few printers that actually accept 16-bit data in the print path (a few Epson's with the option in the driver) also have over the years been rather buggy and produce butt-ugly output unless the check box is off

No need for it to be on, good ones not to be on. 

The check box in Photoshop seen earlier doesn't ensure 16-bits will be used; it is a function after this of the print driver. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Augusto,

This is great advise! Thank you. I only just learned that sharpening is size dependant.

glad it helped

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines