Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot delete a selection in a Photoshop layer

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm having trouble deleting a selection from a layer. I've attached a picture to show what I'm working with (unfortunately the screenshot didn't capture the selection box -- just imagine it is around one of the faces in the picture).  I used the pixels in "Layer 1" to define the selection on "background copy". Then I contracted the selection by 5 pixels and tried hitting the  backspace key to delete the selection (pixels) on "background copy" layer. Would not work. Tried going to Edit>Clear - would not work. 

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong, or is there a setting I might have on that I'm unaware of?

I'm inclined to think it's me because I had the same trouble on my last computer with photoshop a few weeks ago. 

Thanks in advance for the help...

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

I will have a guess- Because you are working on the top copy layer- when you delete a face from a selection on the top layer you will then see the same face on the background layer- so nothing appears to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

I agree. OP try deactivating the bottom layer. I think you'll find the deletion happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Do you se change after clicking on eyeball to close it on the left side of Background layer? See screenshot below.

deactivate hide layer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have a guess- Because you are working on the top copy layer- when you delete a face from a selection on the top layer you will then see the same face on the background layer- so nothing appears to change.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. OP try deactivating the bottom layer. I think you'll find the deletion happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you se change after clicking on eyeball to close it on the left side of Background layer? See screenshot below.

deactivate hide layer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines