Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot enable 'use Graphics Processor anymore' in Ps or Lr

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I have been working with the Abobe editing suite for years and years... Up till now, it has worked perfectly with no issues, but lately I have noticed that Ps and Lr have been bugging out on me when I open them. Very laggy and delayed controls and the window boxes flickering issue is happening.

- I am running the very latest update of Windows 11. (this was happening before latest update)

- I have all my Adobe apps 'up to date'

- My PC is far beyond the working specs Adobe recommends.

- I updated my GPU drivers and problems still persist. (NVIDIA)

The only thing that makes things sort of normal is unchecking the 'Use Graphics Processor'

Up till two weeks ago, eveything was running normally... Only changes on PC would be the regular  Windows 11 updates so why the issue now??

I've looked up on Google for answers and most things point back to GPU drivers but the issue was never there before until it decided to appear and still there after driver updates. 

Any thoughts on this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

*Update*

So just a quick reply to say I may have resolved the problem... After a few hours of reading past forum posts similar to mine, I found some refferences about checking select items in the Technology Previews tab under Preferences.Screenshot 2022-11-04 002614.jpg

I decided to check "Older GPU mode (pre 2016)" as it was unchecked even though my Zotac 1070ti was released in 2017 I believe.... and the "Graphics Processor Compatability Check" approves my gpu for everything. But by checking this box mentioned above, seems to h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which graphic card do you have build in ?

Do you use the latest driver for the graphic card? If yes, try an older one. Sometimes the newest driver are buggy.

Please see also here: Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues (adobe.com)

Especially troubleshooting steps 5 and 6

Please try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps described here and check if it'S help:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Please backup your settings before resetting the preferences. You can check:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the helpful tips. I did check out those troubleshooting articles previously before I posted here.

As I replied to Kevin below, I am thinking the issue started once I changed my two 32" 2K BenQ monitors for one 48" 4K Aorus Oled 

That just occured to me as the timeline matches for the issues in Ps/Lr

Is it possible that the 4K Oled is the main issue here and how should I go about resolving that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is it possible that the 4K Oled is the main issue here and how should I go about resolving that?" 

In that situation, the simple troubleshooting solution is to try plugging in another screen. Could be a cable issue also? 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought was swapping monitors also means changing drivers. I'm wondering if there are multiple drivers or graphics cards at work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an NVIDIA bug with the latest Windows 11 update.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/geforce-gpus-are-slowing-down-after-installing-the-windows-1...

According to the article, a new version of the driver should resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, the problem was present before both Windows 11 and NVIDIA update. 

I updated both in hopes of resolving the issue, but it still persists.

My GPU is older, but still very capable for most tasks.

These are my PC's specs.

So yeah, things have been working with no issue for the last couple years on this set  up... then just recently it started happening. Iv'e not changed anything outside of regular Windows updates. And my CC and apps are always up to date. Thats why I'm so sconfused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, while thinking of changes to my system... the only thing I did do, is I am now am using a  48" 4K Aorus Oled as my monitor. 

My previous setup were two 32" 2K BenQ monitors. 

But am only using the one Aorus now. It is very possible that the Ps/Lr GPU issue started when I changed the monitor as that was just in the past month or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific graphics cards do you have installed? If you still have more than one driver installed, Photoshop won't work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GTX 1070 Ti 8G

I did a clean install of the new driver - Studio Version 517.4 released Sept. 20/22

Like I said... problem was present before the new driver install and is still there after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some suggestions from Adobe for GPU issues.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil...  "Resolve issues caused by defective, unsupported, or incompatible GPU or graphics driver" 

I assumed the "community experts" or Adobe staff would have more to offer than posting links to articles which I would have thoroughly exhausted before posting my question on the forum here. As I said, I have been an Adobe user for many years (10+ years)

Yes, I have read all of these and double checked everything in line to what Adobe says. 

Safe to say not much help to be found among the "experts"

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@devgear insulting the volunteers will not help you get a resolution so please check yourself.

Can you go to Photoshop help menu/System info and copy/paste the details here?

I'm guessing you have more than one GPU driver installed causing the issue.

The only way to confirm is to see your specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, all we community volunteers can do is to pass on info from Adobe about tech issues, plus, sometimes, to relay our own experiences.

The Graphics Processor issues seem extremely complex.That link from Adobe has helped the forum posters. 

To we volunteers, it generally seems worth posting links to help online, because a user may not have discovered that for themselves. VERY few have thoroughly exhausted [links to online articles] before posting my question on the forum

Seems like you'll need to communicate directly with Adobe. 

neilB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Update*

So just a quick reply to say I may have resolved the problem... After a few hours of reading past forum posts similar to mine, I found some refferences about checking select items in the Technology Previews tab under Preferences.Screenshot 2022-11-04 002614.jpg

I decided to check "Older GPU mode (pre 2016)" as it was unchecked even though my Zotac 1070ti was released in 2017 I believe.... and the "Graphics Processor Compatability Check" approves my gpu for everything. But by checking this box mentioned above, seems to have stopped the flickering problem.

And to reiterate, I have been running Adobe PS on my PC setup with this configuration for years. It was only out of the blue the problem happened...

So anyways, for what it is worth as it seems many people have experienced this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never mentioned that Lr has the same flickering issue, but I can't find a work around with it except to disable graphics acceleration in the Performance tab under Preferences. I'm not using Lr as much so I can live with it for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines