• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot execute script in target engine 'main'! (#1116) Can't start debug session.

Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is probably more for staff, but I am getting the above error. I checked the forums and noticed that it can be resolved by resetting system clock, however I am unable to do that as I am on a business machine, so without going through IT, I cannot reset the clock.

Has anyone got alternative solutions?

Many Thanks,

Dale

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

1.       Open the file(Mac): "/Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend.jsx"

2.       Search for the value: 604800000 (line reads bt.timeout = 604800000)

3.       Replace that value with 604800 and save

4.       Quit ExtendScript Toolkit and relaunch.

[ more info in Extendscript Toolkit: Error Message "(#1116) Can't start debug session."  by moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.       Open the file(Mac): "/Applications/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Required/cdic/11BTBackend.jsx"

2.       Search for the value: 604800000 (line reads bt.timeout = 604800000)

3.       Replace that value with 604800 and save

4.       Quit ExtendScript Toolkit and relaunch.

[ more info in Extendscript Toolkit: Error Message "(#1116) Can't start debug session."  by moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

I get the below error:

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 08.40.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you edit the file with ESTK (which uses the 11BTBackend.jsx)

You can edit the file with ESTK, but you have to save it with a different filename or to an other location. Then close ESTK and delete/rename the original jsx and replace it with the new one or rename the new one with the original name.

You can also edit the file with another editor (but you have to close ESTK in the meantime).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, this is another thing I need Admin for.

Either using ESTK or Atom, to update this doc I need the admin privileges.

Is there any other alternative? IT tickets take 3 days for non urgent actions so I'd like to sort this myself haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried all the above, was able to edit and replace the file, but it did not help. What else can I do?

Thank you

Yulia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you restart your machine or just change files?
for me it was a reboot, everything else no matter how many times I repeated it didnt do the trick til I finally powered back up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it did it!  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just like you, I modified the bttimeout, then had to restart. Now my script is executed on AE properly, but I still get the same error message : "Cannot execute script in target engine 'main'! (#1116) Can't start debug session"

Do you have to deal with that message every time you execute a script ? It's not a big issue because the script works, but I feel it's not completely normal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ESTK is End-of-Life and being replaced by Microsoft Visual Studio Code and some Adobe extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, unfortunately Adobe decided to take away Adobe developer's key tool and replace it with a sub-par, unfinished hack job of a thing. Bummer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom,

on my Mac (iMac as well as AirBook)  I can find the folder Application/Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CC/   with the ExtendScript Toolkit.app inside, but no such folder as ../ExtendScript Toolkit.app/Contents/Shared support/Required.....

Where else is this folder or the file 11BTBackend.jsx supposed to be??

Thanks for any hint.

Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MBA - right click the extendscript app and click "show package contents"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

varDale=undefined, thanks a lot, this hint was really helpfull!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

I get the same error Snapshot for your refrence:

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 4.32.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom Winkelmann

Looping with Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked on my home MBP so, I will get IT at work to solve on the work machine.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding that the fix for value: 604800000 is not working as expected. When I run any script from extendscript, the script executes, in my case Illustrator, and then extendscript toolkit is unresponsive. no GUI elements are clickable and commands like ctl + K to stop result in a dialog box to end debugging but doesn't really do anything except cause another dialog box to appear. Is there something I am missing to get estk to be responsive after running a script? I will provide a video if this helps explain what I am seeing.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using cc 2019 and had a similar issue.... I tried modifying the number mentioned here - no fix.

Then reverted to the initial number and restarted my computer, opened illustrator and ESTK and all seems normal now *phew*

Restarting seems to fix it... my issue was probably leaving my machine on for over a week (aka the time out session)

once I rebooted I believe my session restarted and thus enabled me to run my scripts from ESTK.

I would try this before trying to monkey around with system clock like others are mentioning above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! I'm honestly quite surprised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines