• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import pdfs ??? Have the latest Version of PS

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running into this difficulty recently. I cannot load (certain types of pdf) 

The only I can get over this obstacle is to reset all my settings on exit. I do this (and I can import the pdf but then after a period I get the same issue ie cannot import pdf into photoshop

It seems like PS is not responding then I have to force quit the application

Anyone know what the issue may be

Im using the latest version

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problems importing PDFs on my Mac, what operating systm are you using? What is special about the PDF - you mention certain types.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using Windows 10 - Im not sure why it happens to certain pdfs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to one of  your PDF file you can not  import into Photoshop so we can test the PDF file with the version of Photoshop we have installed on our machines.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can import that PDF in windows Photoshop 22.4.1.  However,  its seem  to be an odd PDF. For if has one page that imports as a single raster layer that has transparency text and a black and white image. The Page seem to have over fourteen hundred image too many to open at once in Photoshop on my machine.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you loading/opening pdfs in Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get pdfs from graphic designers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why do you open them in Photoshop? 

If they contain vector-/type-data you are degrading that by converting it into a pixel image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what would you recommend 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open PDFs in Illustrator and retain any vector graphics. I open PDFs in PS all the time - there isn't any vector data in mine, they are "printables" for digital scrapbooking, etc. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you open them in Photoshop – which editing steps do you need to perform? 

Maybe Acrobat itself would suffice, otherwise Illustrator might, as @melissapiccone  mentioned, Illustrator can be used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have illustrator 😞 hence the reason why

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which editing steps do you need to perform on the pdf? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are most probably Adobe Illustrator files.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are most probably Adobe Illustrator files.

By @Abambo

Wrong, they are InDesign files...distilled as the PDF posted proves. The Acrobat file is a mess and I wonder why it was not created by export.

Anyhow, it looks like a print ready file, with including marks. It's probably not something that is intended to be photoshopped... But I can load it correctly into Photoshop, and it reacts like expected:

Abambo_0-1621643025969.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is a lot of artifacts on the design that wasn't intended to be there. Thanks for you help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF/X version is the pdf? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default8o7siosd5qek wrote:

Yes there is a lot of artifacts on the design that wasn't intended to be there. Thanks for you help

Those artefacts get introduced by the erronous workflow. It is possible to create a PDF file without those artefacts, but not through distiller. Indesign can natively export PDF files and that is the recommended workflow for creating print files. You should ask for such a file to start with.
It may well be that your problems get solved like that.

And, I suppose, you are aware that all the experts here think that your workflow is not the best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh me bad. I'm not expert nor ever claim to be. I think I will get over the workflow issue after counselling 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop knows to Import PDF files, as PDf is Adobe's universal exchange format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it converts the vector data to pixel data in the process; consequently the output will degrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it converts the vector data to pixel data in the process (...)

By @c.pfaffenbichler

at the end of the day... yes.

consequently the output will degrade. 

By @c.pfaffenbichler

also here: at the end of the day...yes, but...

...all depends on the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, depending on the ultimate output requirements the potential additional quality may play no role. 

I just like to point the issue out because some people may have overlooked the issue and in some cases it might cause problems later on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photoshop knows to Import PDF files, as PDf is Adobe's universal exchange format."

No, I disagree. A huge number of problems come from the belief that it is a format for exchange. It is a format for sharing information. This leads to the idea that Illustrator must edit PDF files, for example, which is damaging and confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines