• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot move unlocked text layer in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all...trying to move a text layer and it won't move. I use the move tool but even though nothing is locked, it won't move. Any ideas?? Thx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

It appears you have auto select layers chosen at the top left option.

Turn it off/uncheck it.

What is happening is when you click it auto selects another layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Make sure you are using the Move Tool not the hot key. The option for Auto Select will appear in the Options panel at the top left. That is where you need to change it first.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Sorry that you cannot move text layer in Photoshop.

Please explain the issue you're facing in more detail with a brief description of your workflow? Which version of Photoshop are you using? 

Are you moving the text layer to a different document tab? Does the problem occurs with all the documents you work with?

Also, please provide a screenshot illustrating the issue so that we can help better. 

Thanks, 

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx...using latest PS 2020...here's a screen recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you have auto select layers chosen at the top left option.

Turn it off/uncheck it.

What is happening is when you click it auto selects another layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I noticed it would click to other layers when I attempted to move...thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it move with the arrow keys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue: selecting a text layer, when I click on the image with the move tool, the selected layer jumps to the top. I can move the text layer with the arrow keys.

I can't find anything that looks like 'auto select layers at the top left option'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are using the Move Tool not the hot key. The option for Auto Select will appear in the Options panel at the top left. That is where you need to change it first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right after I posted my question, I figured it out (and couldn't figure out how to delete my post).

The answer is that in the Move options panel, uncheck the box "Auto Select Layer". I didn't look there - and can't figure out why the check box exists.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is “v” a hot key, or am I about to learn something new about photoshop?--
Robert Smith h: 510.524.0080 m: 510.529.1995

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V is the Move tool.

You can use Auto Select, but you have to click directly on the visible text so a different layer is not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold ctrl/cmd on another tool it hot swaps temporarily to the move tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if you hold "V" down it will switch to the move tool until you release the key. All sorts of little shortcuts you can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's alway more to the p'shop onion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same has been happenning to me everytime I try to move text along another layer. It's not about auto-select, it's unchecked and both layers keep highlighted. It sucks because I have to align everything again because they just don't move together. If I deselect the text it works, no matter how many layers are still selected. It's just about the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Vitoria Fantoni you're commenting on a 2 year old resolved thread with older software. If you are having a similar issue, please post a new thread with your details (PS version, OS, etc) so we can help accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines