Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Save PDF Due To Program Error

Participant ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys,

I've been trying to save a pdf for a few hours now.  What happens is it says it can't save to a location due to a program error.

It will save jpg, png, psd, etcetera, but will not save a PDF at all.  I tried disabling the Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities, but that didn't work, either.  It was working fine a few hours ago when I saved a PDF and now it refuses.  I'm not entirely sure what I've done.

So I checked the error report and this is what it says:

2010:08:22 01:34:25 : ..\..\sources\UTextFace.cpp : 1276 : REQUIRE failed

I have no idea what that means.  Anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running CS4 on XP sp3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is an entire year later, but I hate posts with no resolved answer.

The problem actually turned out to be a corrupted font I was using in the PDF. Somehow, the font was corrupted while I was working or I switched to a new font that was already corrupted: Either way, it was a bad font causing the save errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is an entire year later, but I hate posts with no resolved answer.

The problem actually turned out to be a corrupted font I was using in the PDF. Somehow, the font was corrupted while I was working or I switched to a new font that was already corrupted: Either way, it was a bad font causing the save errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, it was a corrupt font I was using in the PSD that wouldn't let me export to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that would explain why nobody else could reproduce the problem.

Of course, we'd love to get a sample of the document and font that caused the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I still have the PSD, it was for a school assignment. At least, I know I posted the original question for an assignment PSD that was giving me troubles and I only have one assignment PSD from that day, so I'm assuming it's the one.

As for the font... I couldn't say for certain now.

I want to say it was Zenda (free font) or an Adobe-something font I was using and ended up disabling, because I've had a few problems from the Adobe installed fonts. Still, I'm pretty set on Zenda being the culprit at the time, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS is very sensitive to fonts. It's not just a corrupt font, but some that PS does not like, and probably because of the way they are written. Also, there are some, that work in some other programs, that will not display properly in PS. I have found variations of the Isabelle and Isabella fonts (different foundries), that just do not display in PS. Adobe Premiere's (video editing program's) Titler is even more sensitive to the fonts, than PS. So, even a font that is not corrupt, and works in some other programs, it just might not work (or display) in PS.

Over the years, we've gathered a few fonts that crash Titler. Those are the first ones that we ask a user, if they are installed. However, with so many foundries (and self-created), and fonts, the list can never be complete.

Good luck, and glad that you found the culprit.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem and this post solved it (thank you StoneChameleon!). I rendered the fonts and then the file could be saved. However this is definately not an optimal solution. If you want I can send the file/font for checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, I'm glad I posted the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This had happened to me several times before in the past and I thought it was because of the crazy amount of layers in the particular projects I was working on.  I would save a flat PSD copy in order to be able to create the PDF.  It never occurred to me it was because of sketchy fonts!!  Thanks for bring this to light!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread literally saved my ass today! It's crazy how something like this could cause such an issue. Rasterized all my text, problem solved! Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix is still working!  You ROCK StoneChameleon!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you never got your answer - but thank you for posting.. You have helped me and clearly so many others!! Appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem, same solution. Couldn't save as PDF or PSD. I rasterized my font layers (I had downloaded font from a sketchy site). Allowed me to save as PDF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fastest wil be just flatten the image then save it to PDF.

※Remember to unflatten the image afterwards if you still want to edit it in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found the solution too. Basically, when you try to save as a Pdf, and it declines, Photoshop is smart enough to highlight for you the PROBLEMS causing this. So when you open up your LAYERS, you'll see that warning sign/ TRIANGLE or whatever you call it. Turns out photoshop is very reluctant to foreign fonts and stuff.

So all you have to do is RASTERIZE every single layer with that sign. It will work!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings from the future. This is STILL a problem. I've rasterized all text layers and getting the same error. Don't see any error labels on individual layers. I guess I'm going to update Photoshop per their number one suggestion on their support page. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well here I am seeing this 13 years later, and it helps a lot. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines