• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here.

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 860 Replies 860
860 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Photoshop did not ask to install Rosetta the first time I opened it after the update. 

I can't use the timeline and can't render videos. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found a solution yet. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We solved the problem by connecting remotely with adobe. very simple. The action to be taken is: go to applications and open the photoshop folder, right click on the photoshop file, open the 'get info', mark open using rosetta there. and it finished. start photoshop and start using video animation 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Rosetta was either already installed, or part of the OS... Maybe should Apple change the order of the instructions, to that the right-click, get info is on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it is available in the system, we just need to approve it to activate it, it was a bit difficult to find it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found a solution to this? I had to look it up because I'm not seeing the option either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on, I reread what you said about opening the folder. I see the option now. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 23.02 is missing the Video Timeline. I have to go open the Intel version from the cloud to use the the Video Timeline. Frame Animation shows up in both versions (Intel/M1 Pro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a really weird solution. Why does this work? This is some sort of scientific modeling software from a university....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wattlendaub, which is the particular solution which seems weird? There's been a lot of discussion and different views...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that I've directly responded to about having to download some sort of rosetta software. Your OS has Rosetta pre-built into it if you have an M1 processor in your mac. All you need to do is go to the main Photoshop Application in your applications folder, right click it, select get info, and click the checkbox that says "open in Rosetta" which is Apples emulator for running apps that run better on Intel chips than their M1 chip. Adobe better pick up the pace because I want the M1 performance.

Dont download this software or jump through these other hoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're quite right, thanks for explaining further. The link in so_steph's reply is indeed the wrong Rosetta. I've asked the moderators to consider removing the link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to do the same thing on Windows 10 , I've tried opening the same file as MOV. MP4, and FLV and for everytime it says "file could not be opened" 
I've tried importing it, layers to video frames and it still gives me the same thing plz help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop on the M1Pro MacBook. This is a known issue with Apple silicon devices & our product team is working on making the video features available natively on the Apple silicon devices. Currently, they are only available under the Rosetta emulation mode.

Please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Same issue as Giovanni, Photoshop does not open MP4 and MOV files.

Even after installing Rosetta it does not work. I'm on MacOS Monterrey and M1 Pro chipset.
Anyone fixed this issue? Thanks for your hints.

Rgrds

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! It's so frutrasting. I went from making GIFs easily to not being able to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it. I expected some bugs and some workarounds. Just hoping the video timeline will come back in future updates. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when is this getting fixed?

Getting harder and harder to understand why we pay for a subscription if the software can't be updated to just work 'normally' a year after mac's have been upgraded...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to look at the other replies in this conversation. You'll have to run your mac through "Rosetta" which is Apples Intel emulator until Adobe designs photoshop to run on the M1 chip. Yes...this feels like something they shouldve done beforehand...

Go to the main photoshop application icon in your applications folder. Right click and select "Get info". In that pop-up there is a "run in Rosetta" option you can select. Click the checkbox and then open up photoshop. You should have access to those other features but make sure to save often just in case. I've heard it might be a little less secure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! activating Rosetta worked but now the export takes ages for a very simple 4 pictures animated gif...

any other tip with this.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. When trying to open a video file through file/open within Photoshop, all video files are grayed-out. Right clicking on a video file and choosing to open with Photoshop yields a popup from Photoshop stating that it can not open this type of file.

This problem occurs with all video files tested from ProRes to h264 -- files which open on an older hardware/software system.

Current problematic setup:

Photoshop 23.0.2

MacOS 12.0.1

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) M1 Max

64 GB Ram

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 2.59.40 PM.png

Thanks for any advice or info,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop had "Accessibility" and "Full Disk Access" enabled within System preferences. I added "Files & Folders" just now and restarted, but video files still would not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also "Reset Preferences On Quit" and restarted once more to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BGPictures 

Are you running Photoshop through Rosetta 2?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running in Rosetta is not a fix its a janky sorry excuse for a workaround.  The previous verison of photoshop supported video with the M1 chip flawlessly, this is just something Adobe doesn't want to fix for some reason in the current verison (or can't).  I pay for full funactionality of this software (or so i thought) and not to open the program 49 different ways to get it every feature to work.  Get it together Adobe, this is sad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate