Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Cant open .mp4 and .mov files in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I have a few assingments that require me to edit videos in photoshop but unfortunatly I cannot open any video files inside of photoshop; yes you can edit videos in photoshop. For any of those who have resolved this problem or have come across it what did you do to fix it or get around it? For refrences I am using a 16 inch 2019 Mac Book Pro and have all my software up to date. 

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021
It's probably because your laptio is running M1. you have to download rosetta: (link removed by moderator) Once downloaded, just open it so that it's installed and not in a zip file.  Then finder > Applications > right click on Photoshop and press get info. In that pop up, you'll see open with rosetta. Click the box and close the pop up.  Now you can open photoshop and edit any video you want by just dragging it into photoshop

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific when you say you "cannot open any video files?" How are you opening them? What happens when you open them, is there an error message? Please tell us exactly what you're doing and what happens.

I have used Photoshop extensively for editing videos on both Windows and Mac, and haven't seen any general issues with it.

To be clear, I always try to use the shortest and smallest video possible; I would never try to open a 3 minute long 4K video, for example. I use PS for small edits to apply special effects only in small segments of video.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to make a video and I cannot import video clips into photoshop. The files im trying to open are like 30 seconds long; they arent huge files. For some reason photoshop does not want to open these files. I've tried dragging videos into the photoshop icon, opening them manualy within photoshop, and various other methods with no success. These files are not corrupted because I can open them in quick time and my professor made them available to us via google drive. Many other students have been able to submit the assingment using the provided video files our professor provided us, I think that my problem is an isolated case.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Cannot open MOV in PS and don't know why.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eva, an employee reached out to me and solved all my problems. I will post their solution that worked for me. Follow these instructions and it should work. Good Luck!

"Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Would you mind telling us which macOS version are you working on? Are you getting an error while trying to open the videos in Photoshop? Are the files located on your computers internal drive or an external drive?

If you're working on macOS Catalina or macOS Big Sur, please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

Regards,

Nikunj"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Catalina or Big Sur? 32bit files are not supported on these - only 64bit files.

Files such as .mp4 and .mov are containers - not codecs. So if they contain 32bit codecs (e.g Quicktime) they will no longer open.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"32bit files are not supported on these - only 64bit files. " Sorry, that's a bit of an oversimplification. 32-bit APPS are not supported. Some old CODECs might no longer be supported, if they don't have new apps. These are called "Legacy CODECs" but QuickTime and its many other CODECs are alive and well. (Doesn't help you if you have an old one of course).  Details: https://larryjordan.com/blog/important-dont-lose-access-to-older-media/

I would think the quick test for this is to see if the clip that one wants to import opens in QuickTime Player. And the original poster already did this test.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me more details. I think 32bit files are not supported and only 64bit is supported with mp4 and .mov extensions. If you are opening 32bit codecs. This will not work. I am creating videos for a website i.e https://www.criclines.com/ in 64bits with mp4 extensions and this is working properly. 

Rahul

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably because your laptio is running M1.

you have to download rosetta: (link removed by moderator)

Once downloaded, just open it so that it's installed and not in a zip file. 

Then finder > Applications > right click on Photoshop and press get info.

In that pop up, you'll see open with rosetta. Click the box and close the pop up. 

Now you can open photoshop and edit any video you want by just dragging it into photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*laptop

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you! That was exactly my problem. Worked like a charm.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youre amazing, thank youuuuu

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a really weird solution. Why does this work? This is some sort of scientific modeling software from a university....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wattlendaub, which is the particular solution which seems weird? There's been a lot of discussion and different views...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that I've directly responded to about having to download some sort of rosetta software. Your OS has Rosetta pre-built into it if you have an M1 processor in your mac. All you need to do is go to the main Photoshop Application in your applications folder, right click it, select get info, and click the checkbox that says "open in Rosetta" which is Apples emulator for running apps that run better on Intel chips than their M1 chip. Adobe better pick up the pace because I want the M1 performance.

Dont download this software or jump through these other hoops.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're quite right, thanks for explaining further. The link in so_steph's reply is indeed the wrong Rosetta. I've asked the moderators to consider removing the link. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to do the same thing on Windows 10 , I've tried opening the same file as MOV. MP4, and FLV and for everytime it says "file could not be opened" 
I've tried importing it, layers to video frames and it still gives me the same thing plz help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
5 hours ago 5 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Everyone,

Same issue as Giovanni, Photoshop does not open MP4 and MOV files.

Even after installing Rosetta it does not work. I'm on MacOS Monterrey and M1 Pro chipset.
Anyone fixed this issue? Thanks for your hints.

Rgrds

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines