• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant save as a .jpg

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 runs Photoshop and Lightroom cc on my PC if I save as my default .tiff as a .jpg will not appear in the Recent files list or as a recent file in the photoshop recent items list seems to be . 'stuck' as the original.tiff image.

This means that I cannot use in the email system as the file size is too large.

any help would be appreciated

Charisma 515

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

charisma515  wrote

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I do save the .tiff images as a .jpeg and if they are saved as a .jpeg they will appear along with the original .Tiff in the recent files list as a .jpeg.  My problem is that they don't save as a .jpeg and remain as a .tiff

Regards Charisma 515

Your image probably has layers (or it's 16 bits/color). JPEG does not support layers (or 16 bits/color), so if you try to save a layered image as jpeg, then Photoshop will save a flattened copy as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand your question. The 'Recent files' list is a list of files you recently opened. It has nothing to do with saving images. If you want to save an image as a jpeg, you should choose 'Save as' and in the dialog select jpeg as the file type.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I do save the .tiff images as a .jpeg and if they are saved as a .jpeg they will appear along with the original .Tiff in the recent files list as a .jpeg.  My problem is that they don't save as a .jpeg and remain as a .tiff

Regards Charisma 515

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charisma515  wrote

Regards Charisma 515

Your image probably has layers (or it's 16 bits/color). JPEG does not support layers (or 16 bits/color), so if you try to save a layered image as jpeg, then Photoshop will save a flattened copy as jpeg and the original remains layered and still needs to be saved as tiff.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you  converting Image mode to 8 bit and 'save as' saves the image as a jpg but I then need to 'reveal in Explorer' to find out where it was filed!

So Ok now and thanks

Charisma 515

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charisma515  wrote

Thank you  converting Image mode to 8 bit and 'save as' saves the image as a jpg but I then need to 'reveal in Explorer' to find out where it was filed!

You define where it was filed in the ‘Save as’ dialog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to save JPG's by doing the "save as"... but today I updated Photoshop to v 22.5.1 and when I went to save as JPG the option isn't there.  The only options it now gives are PSD, Large Document Format, TIFF & Photoshop PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You perhaps have not read any 'Update News' about the changes to [Save As] in v22.4

See the Help Page.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

And note the v22.4.2 upgrade that introduced "Enable Legacy [Save As] " to answer the hundreds of questions about the changes.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HIO

try this?

Save a Copy

If you’d like to save a layered file as a flat file, you’ll need to create a new version of the document. Also, if you don't see a desired format like JPEG or PNG, use Save a Copy option for all formats and create a preserved version of your document.

To do so, choose:

• File > Save a Copy 
  • Save a Copy button under the Save As dialog box

more here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

I hope this helps neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management [please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines