Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canvas size for high quality art?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What canvas size should I use for Photoshop files in which I create digital art? To me, it should be a size so that it won't easily become pixelated. I would also like for it to be fit for all devices meaning that it shouldn't become pixelated viewed on such devices. Don't we all want that? In that case, what size should I use? For example, if you have a size of the now common 1920x1080px, you would need to scale it a whole lot if used on retina devices. That would lead to loss of quality from the resulting scaled version, which is sad when you spent so much time creating art. What size do you use and why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K displays are becoming quite common these days and most 4K TV can display image files.  I do not think 5K and 8K displays will see wide spread use on computers because of their cost and they require a special high price display adapter or two display adaptors.   So you may want to consider canvas size like 38640px x 2160px  and  2160px x 3840pd a wide 16:9 landscape aspect ratio and a tall 9:16 portrait aspect ratio. These will also print  around 13"x7" at a 300dpi resolution.   The down side is the file will be larger and your paint application performance may suffer some.

Large size 4K TV DPI resolution is not as high as you may think a 70" 4k TV resolution is around 63dpi.  My 55" 4k TV resolution is 80DPI.  My 24" 4K display resolution is 185DPI.   A 14.69" 4K display would have a 300dpi resolution 12.8" x 7.2" image size.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you did not mean it when saying 38640px in length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3840 × 2160 (4K UHD) is the dominant 4K standard for consumer media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always think and design for print . As stated above, this may affect perfomance, but thats the nature of the beast. You can always size down finished artwork for digital display but always keeping a version for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines