• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2018 Brush cursor preview size is wrong, too large.

Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a 500 x 500 px document. Set your  round brush to 500 px. Your cursor preview should be as large as your document, but is larger.

I tried both fill and normal size brush, and does not work properly since upgrading to CC2018 on mac OS 10.12.4.

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 8.54.56 AM.png

I have all my brush setting unchecked. Was trying to create the red doughnut brush I use on my screenshots.

Also when I hit delete keep getting the annoying menu.Would prefer to not see this each and every time, is there a way to stop this pop up window?

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 9.08.42 AM.png

Atelast option delete still fills with foreground color with no pop up window. The options are great, but wold think this should have been in preferences.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Solved the problem!! Shape dynamics is on by default in Photoshop CC 2018. Go to Window/Brushes/ Brush Settings and toggle Shape dynamics off to correct this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Hallelujah!! This has been driving me craaazy for months!! I fixed by your suggestion System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor, then slid back down to normal size. THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not noticing any oversized cursors on my Mid 2012 MBP, but see if a Tool reset will fix it. Select the brush, right-click on the icon in the top option bar:

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 12.17.38 PM.png

Here's the reason Delete brings up Fill.

Photoshop: Why does the delete key bring up the Fill dialog in Photoshop CS5, CS6? | Photoshop Famil...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have feathering, it's larger than the doc, but when the hardness is up all the way, it's the size of the doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very annoying problem. Especially with the clone stamp tool. Just upgraded to the cc 2018.

Have been using Photoshop for 15 years and always could preview the effect before applying the brush. Now the preview is so large that the clone stamp tool is almost useless. I don't usually clone stamp with a hard brush. I need to see where the brush is actually going to apply the clone when working near an edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved the problem!! Shape dynamics is on by default in Photoshop CC 2018. Go to Window/Brushes/ Brush Settings and toggle Shape dynamics off to correct this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you!

I didn't realize how much I relied upon the cursor as a guide when masking, and have been so frustrated not being able to get my cursor view right.

THis tiny bit of information has just made my new tablet usable and me a happy Photoshop user again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst talking about the brush tool, does anyone know how to get that red preview when quickly changing brush size/hardness on graphic tablets? Been doing a lot of research on it and tried multiple times to no avail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot turn off the overlay (displayed with round computed brushes) but you can change the color in Preferences/Cursors Brush Preview color swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to turn it off, but when I change the size/hardness it only shows the black ring, I can't seem to get the red preview to show..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview overlay is only shown on the round brushes. Other brush types (Sampled and Live Tip) only show the outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mac you have to press control+option keys and then click and hold with your brush tool. You then can move your cursor  up and down to change the hardness and left and right to change size of the brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was asked eons ago, but I found that if I set my cursor size larger than normal/default in my MacOS settings, that it effects the paintbrush circle size in Photoshop. Had to set that back to the normal size unfortunately.

Hope this helps someone some day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah!! This has been driving me craaazy for months!! I fixed by your suggestion System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor, then slid back down to normal size. THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the solution. I tried all the previous suggestions, but this did it. Weird that this is an effect of cursor size in apple system settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has also been driving me nuts since I did an OS update and I haven't been able to figure it out. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was driving me nuts for almost an hour today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines