• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes to Pantone Color Books

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a workflow in which I use many software from adobe and corel and gmg and esko and studiorip .. 

The fact that adobe eliminated the pantone solid coated color libraries and the fact that they changed the way the pantone + solid coated libraries are made .. affects my work and I cannot rely any longer on adobe updated software because all my other programs I work with no longer interpret correctly the PSD files made with the updated soft from adobe.

I have international clients I work for that need changes and updates to their old / existing files and products . I cannot work with adobe updated versions because the software language for the color libraries / books / swatches has been changed for certain pantone libraries and elinimated for other pantone libraries.  My PSD files that contain pantone spot colors, made before august '22 are no longer editable with the new updated software regarding the Pantone spot colors... these colors are no longer supported in the updated sofwere from adobe.

My other programs (not from adobe) that I use no longer import correctly the files I made with photoshop 23.5.1 or 23.5 that contain spot colors from Pantone .. This greatly affects my work and my workflow and this is not normal. I had to reinstall a older version of photoshop so I could work again and have consistency through my workflow.

Adobe should not change or eliminate pantone color libraries and not take into account that designers use also other programs that use the same pantone colors.. designers need consistency and reliable software. The fact that pantone colors from adobe progreams no longer work in other programs is not acceptable and this affects workflows and this has and will have huge implications! The customer / end user should not suffer or pay more due to disputes over licensing fees between Adobe and Pantone.

Please restore the old color libraries / books so we can have consistency and reliable workflows again!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see this thread? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/changes-to-pantone-color-books/td-p/1...

Do you appreciate that Pantone is a company of its own and makes its own decisions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have seen it. 

Do you apriciate that adobe promised, advertised and diliverd in the software they provided / sold, integreted color libraries and books and swatches not only from Pantone; with no extra fees from the companies that made these colors? Why should all of the suden the end user / customer be involved in these disputes / agreements between adobe and "color creators"and have to suffer or pay extra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex24237082bzyq wrote:

Do you apriciate that adobe promised, advertised and diliverd in the software they provided / sold, integreted color libraries and books and swatches not only from Pantone; with no extra fees from the companies that made these colors?

Pantone pulled out of Adobe and decided to have their own subscription service. You need to ask them instead of the volunteers on this forum. Here is the "Contact Us" page for Pantone: https://www.pantone.com/contact-us

I've been using Adobe software since 1989 and never saw that promise. Do you have a link?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the blog link, @Alex24237082bzyq . Everything Andrew Smyk wrote in January 2020 was true at the time he wrote it. It was later that Pantone pulled out of Adobe.

133E904D-2C05-4D19-992E-2A8160C3D172.jpeg

I'm with you in wishing they had not pulled out, but they do offer their own subscription if you need it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should all of the suden the end user / customer be involved in these disputes / agreements between adobe and "color creators"and have to suffer or pay extra?

Time passes, things change, new versions of programs or other products may include new features, lose old features, … 

Trying to blame Adobe for things that are not Adobe’s doing will probably not do a lot of good, no matter how annoying they are. 

You seem to have marked your original post »Discussion«, if you want to make sure that a post registers at Adobe you may want to post a Bug Report (»Bug«, which this would not exactly qualify as) or a Feature Request (»Idea«). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see it that way... The softwere I use from adobe is bought from adobe.. not from pantone.. Adobe integrated color books from "color creators" scince forever.. the change they made now is in theyr software and something that was free and integated is now with tax / you have to pay. So the end user  is dragged in the disputes and agreements between giant companies and has to suffer and pay for their benefits and hardships.. so all trubbles are passed  to the customer. This does not seem fair to me... If you are a serious company and are proud to be consistent then you should provide consistent software to your clients.. and not pour your problems elsewere / deal with it ... I do not see any mature action from adobe... to say the least

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"All" end users miss the built-in access to the Pantone solid colour library files in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

Pantone colours have always been licensed to Adobe by their owner, Pantone.

The previous license agreement and business relationship between Adobe and Pantone is now sadly irrelevant and a moot point. Whether Adobe didn't agree to an increase in pricing from Pantone, or whether Pantone decided to milk the SaaS cow for themselves and rejected Adobe we may never know.

It is what it is, and it is no good for anybody, except possibly Pantone (the jury is still out).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: Photoshop versions released in August, September, and October 2022 will continue to render Pantone colors Gray/Black unavailable. Updating to the November 2022 version of Photoshop will fix this workflow.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/pantone-color-books-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines