• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes with how things are saved, location, etc. Why would they change it??

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey so I am having major workflow issues from how they've changed where and how files are saved.  The best example is, I have a file open that I've been working on, I go to organize all the things I need for this file on my desktop and put it all in the folder, then when I go back to work on the file I'm working on, make some changes and save it again, it saves at the old location (for example Desktop or Documents), not the new folder I put it in.  It's like it can no longer "find" the file and it saves another one and I end up with multiple copies of the same file.  I had multiples of the same artwork before I realized what was going on.  I do understand I can work around this but why would they change it??  I've been doing this for 20 plus years, it wasn't something to be fixed.  It's a step down in ease of use, I really have gotten to where I hate Photoshop, every update seems to bring more annoyances than it actually helps.  Any suggestions to help fix this?  Or the best way to downgrade Photoshop CC?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're saying that you move the saved file location while the file is still open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  I moved a file location while the document was open.  Like I've been doing for 20 years.  I've never had this issue before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol, you're getting old and not remembering things correctly then. You've never been able to move an open file in the finder and have Ps save to the new location. No application is able to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested and in Photoshop CC 2019 on Mac OS Catalina I could observe the behaviour the OP described. 

Similar for TextEdit. 

But moving a file while it is opened in any application seems like an invitation for problems to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to behave the same in Photoshop 2022 as in Photoshop 2021 and Photoshop 2020.

(It seems to behave differently in Photoshop CC 2019, but that has been obsolete for a while now.) 

I guess there have been plenty of unwelcome changes and also bugs introduced in recent Photoshop versions but moving a file while it is open in any application does not seem like a good idea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a good idea for 2 decades, I don't understand why it should matter now.  Other applications I use are smart enough to find the same file, just like Photoshop used to be able to.  It only recently changed for me and my coworkers, I don't know why they keep changing stuff and in a backwards direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a good idea for 2 decades

I think it never was a good idea, it just wasn’t a problem at the time. 

You seem to have left out two versions of Photoshop so you might just have to catch up on more changes than some others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't recall being able to ever move an open file to a new location and have Ps know where you've moved it to. The OP is imagining things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yeah that is wrong I am not imagining things but thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden I can access things like Transform, Free Transform, Delete etc.  They're greyed out.  Any ideas about how I can restore them.

Thanks.

lucy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Have you tried turning it off and on again?« 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What are the image’s Color Mode and bit depth? 

Which Layers, Channels, … are selected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines