• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing Fabric on sofa

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a fabric company and we have 100s on fabrics that need showing in a more realistic way, is photoshop is the best program to take a photo and change to the fabric on a sofa and chairs, will it look real enough? Any ideas on how to go about this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm, I am tempted to just mark your post as »Correct Answer« but maybe @Ljm2021 will want to chime in again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seem to me that that with a chair that complex design  it will be a lot of work in either Photoshop or in a 3D Application to create a Mockup Template PSD or a 3D chair Model.  3D can produce a much better result because of the Features and Tools the 3D has.  3D require a lot more technical knowledge.    Once  a good 3d chair models has been  created  3D Features and tools make it quite easy toe change the chair fabric and surface texture. 

So the correct answers depends on the users skill set.   If  they have the Required 3D skill set and tool the answer is the 3D Model.  If they do not have the 3D skill set and tools they use Photoshop to create a Mockup Template PSD if they have the Photoshop  know how else they forgo or outsource the project.

Its  a Complex project which require quite a bit of work.  I would choose a simpler chair and create a Mockup Template with my skill set.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right JJ - both methods need some work at the start to set up.

If you are not worried about the particular chair, Adobe 3D assets have downloadable models as part of the 3D Collection subscription. These are already UV unwrapped and can be set up in 3D stager for a fast premade scene. Then the real fabrics, photographed and prepared in Sampler for 3D use, can be used on the surface

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote:

Personally I would use 3D, but I am familiar with the process.

The long part on both cases was the preparation i.e. building the model for 3D and UV unwrapping it, or creating all the masks and warps for the Photoshop approach.

This has been an interesting thread (and thanks for the 3D version Dave!) 😊 

Both cases are above my skill level. If I were in charge of the project, I would hire an expert for what you call "preparation" and only do the part that involves swapping in the hundred different fabric samples. Some things are worth it!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading this thread, I couldn't help but think of Human Software's Squizz. I remember it being sort of a forerunner to Liquify, and then being focused on draping.

Rather pricey, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An interesting plug in @Semaphoric . What the warp grid could have been !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I searched for it, I was sort of pleasantly surprised that it was still developed for modern OSes, since so many are not.

One of my favorites, Xaos Tools' Segmation, only worked in Photoshop v7.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines