• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Channel selection setting?

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i work with channels in PS daily; it has always been this way (and i honestly do not know why) but when you Cntrl (PC) click on the channel it always chooses the inverse of the channel.  Is there a setting where you can change it to choose the actual info in the channel?  I have tried other keyboard shortcut combos with no luck.

...and while we are at it, why would the default be to select the inverse?  I am not being clever, just interested to know why.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm puzzled. Ctrl+Click on a channel here just loads the channel as a selection, no inverse just a straightforward selection

Photoshop v24.0.0 Windows 10

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What are the Channel’s Options?

Edit: »Masked Areas« or »Selected Areas« in particular?

Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 16.56.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the requested screen shot (thank you guys!)

it is an RGB file; what you are seeing is a cntrl click on the RED channel; as you can see, it is an inverted selection.

side note: if i create a custom spot channel and do the same cntrl click it chooses the right selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not an inverted channel selection. In RGB the lighter the pixel the closer to 100% selected, the darker the pixel the closer to 0% selected.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @davescm already stated the white pixels are intended to signify the selected, the black ones the unselected pixels by default. 

With Alpha Channels one can change the display via the Channel Options, but with the RGB-Channels the Selection you get is as expected and intended. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i think i get it.....

the value of black in RGB is 0, so it selects the 0% areas.  But it raises the question: why does it also behave the same way in CMYK?

(thanks for the notes on the alpha channels)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines