Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping mask and layer effect issue

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of background first …

My preferred process is to build most of my artwork in Illustrator, and colour the “bits” in shades of grey. This helps me focus on the layout and not get too wrapped in the colour scheme. Once I have that figured out I’ll export the layers to Photoshop. Most of the colouring in Photoshop I’ll do with a colour overlay applied in a layer effect. I find it more efficient than manually selecting, and re-colouring, each component.

The problem …

I will often apply brushwork or texture on top of the separate shapes. I’ll select the layer I want to apply a clipping mask to, click Option (Mac) and Create a new layer, and select “Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask”. I then apply the brush/texture on the clipping mask layer.

This works fine, EXCEPT when I apply a colour overlay in a layer effect on the originating base layer. This “overwrites” the entire shape with the new colour, and covers up (or turns off) any brush/texture work I’ve added on the clipping mask layer.

Has anyone else come across this?

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Yes, that not really the way that feature is suppose to work. You can always  create a new layer above the shape layer that have the overlay and clip it to the shape layer to do your painting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The overlay in the effects panel will cover everything on that layer. You can try to change the blend mode of the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. It changes the appearance on a few of the settings (soft, hard, vivid, linear light) but it's still different from how it should look.

I'm assuming what I'm looking for is just a limitation in the app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that not really the way that feature is suppose to work. You can always  create a new layer above the shape layer that have the overlay and clip it to the shape layer to do your painting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. That works. It's a bit kludgy but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shift Delete.  Pattern Fill.  Select the type of fill, which is beneath the Custom Pattern selector.  A diologue box will appear asking you about how you want the pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines